How to get a refund on a inoperable product?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by polaritypictures, Nov 12, 2008.

1. polaritypictures

polaritypictures Bit poster

so far this product runs slow and incapable of performing to the previous standards. Jus tto get it to run ONE program halts it's functions, trying multitudes of times to fix it is frustrating as hell. Why release a product without testing it throughly is beyond me.

Send me a link so I can get a refund Please! or FIX the Problems!

I NEED SOMETHING THAT WORKS, And YOU DELETED MY OLD INSTALLATION (WHY?)

Waiting......

2. billc80015

billc80015 Member

Yes, as you can guess a lot of people on this forum are in the same boat ... Well, accept for a few ... but for those the operative word seems to be "Vanila" Windows install ... thats the part maybe Parallels forgot to tell the rest of us ... "If you have a vanilla version of windows install .. go ahead and upgrade to Version 4 ... otherwise ..."

Just as frustrated as you ....

3. Frederic Bronner

Frederic Bronner Member

So what are the problems that you are encountering, and how is your windows and mac configured?

These are the basic questions you need answered and posted on the forum if you expect help.

4. polaritypictures

Windows is Xp sp3, plain, mac is macpro 8 -core 2.8, 12 gig ram, Xp is virtual disk 125 gb file. The PVM is what I downloaded form your site after paying for it. After conversion of it, it would halt repeatedly and freeze, Tried many configurations of ram/processor count and other settings to tweak the outcome but still the same. It would Work extremely slow and jsut stop working with only one program open. Other Vm's would freeze and not complete the conversion process or say that th eHD disk is unreadable or not found. Out of frustration I gave up. Software is not suppose to work this way.

5. martyn

martyn Bit poster

I've just bought VMWare

Not a lot else to say about it other than that's how good Parallel's 4 has proven to be, having knackered both my Vista and XP VMs. I might try and get my money back to subsidize the purchase of VMware. Sad, been with Parallels from version 1.

6. Frederic Bronner

Frederic Bronner Member

I don't work for Parallel, I'm trying to help, I've spent all day long in my Windows XP SP3 VM machine on PD4 and it hasn't failed me yet..

Mine is a windows XP professionnal, all patched up. No anti-virus, or any other protection on it. I run with 512 Mb of ram assigned to it. There is no sharing of applications or folders at all. The display driver has 128Mb assigned to it, as I played with some games last time around on it.

The VM is locateed on an external disk connected thru firewire 800.

What about you, running anything special on your windows VM?

7. polaritypictures

nope, standard xp pro install with a few normal programs on it. *shrugs*

8. Frederic Bronner

Frederic Bronner Member

What programs do you have installed? Any special USB device which is assigned to your virtual machine.

9. PrinceZordar

PrinceZordar Member

Same boat here. Standard XP Pro SP3 Boot Camp install, the upgrade can't start Windows to upgrade the tools. It does, however, start from a dual-boot, and it also starts fine from a trial version of VMWare Fusion, so at least I know my install wasn't trashed. The complete lack of response is staggering, although I did go through the same thing when I upgraded to 3.0 - the difference this time is 3.0 was a free upgrade for me, whereas this time I paid $40 for what is apparently a broken beta version.

-Z

10. polaritypictures

re:

well, if I remember since i can't access it ;P

Free download manager, Firefox, Crapcleaner, skype, pidgin, SIW, Avast AV, clamwin, defragger, itunes, ms lifecam, thunderbird, quicktime, paint.net, poweriso, recurva, videolan., mostly all those is a stock install on all of my xp systems

I tried running the MS webcam, pfft that choked it. on v3 it barely worked, terrible.

11. eread

eread Member

I'd be interested in know how you find VMWare Fusion 2 - I trialled it and, while it didn't hose the VMs, its performance and features weren't that amazing. People over "there" were complaining of lockups and slow performance - in fact, I think I might have had a lock up once (and my Macs _never_ lockup).

Could you report back?

Thanks.

12. polaritypictures

re

well don't have the time to install xp again, have several projects that have priority over that. sorry.

13. blomasky

blomasky Member

am I the only one who LOVES the upgrade? I had problems with the right mouse click, but after fixing that in the preferences, I am a happy camper.. Using XP SP3 mostly, but also, just for shits and grins, installed vista ultimate (and found out why I hate it) and it even works OK

14. billc80015

billc80015 Member

This company called Parallels just sucks ... And oh! before you Paralllels cheerleaders start throwing any eggs my way ... get this I paid $30 for tech support ... i was onhold for 10 mins .. got through to tier1 support ... then was told needed tier2 .... transferred to tier 2 ... left on hold for more than 1 hour ... at which point the stupid annoying voice message told me to call back later ... now calling back .. waited another 20 minutes onhold ... finally a guy picks up ... i give him the ticket number .. still wants repeated instructions ... which I do ... then says maybe need to talk to sales .. I explain I am suppose to talk to tech-support level two ... he seems confussed ... so I ask to talk to the supervisor ... 30 mins waiting ... still no supervisor on call ... just the same annoying onhold messages .... This company is a pure waste of time ... And cheerleaders ... mark my words this company is a flash in a pan .... they will certainly not survive at this rate ....

15. eread

eread Member

My experience - if you have a setup that never saw PD3 (clean MacOS X/Windows), PD4 is really good.

I am really happy with the Linux side of it (what I have tested - Fedora 9).

There are a few annoyances with the boot camp vm which I hope won't take to long to trouble shoot (I'll start asking specific questions of the forum when the catastrophes die down.

Win98 completely broke for me - thankfully it was just a play install from old disks I had.

I think PD4 has great potential - I asked a week ago on this forum to allow for a fully open public beta - the variety of installs would have shown some of these problems before people actually tried putting it into production.

16. billc80015

billc80015 Member

Here is how to get a refund:

In the US and Canada call : 1-800-406-4966 or 1-952-646-5022 ... Just explain that you bought a product that doesn't work ... a prouduct that destroys your VM ... they are very helpful (That customer service is fortunately not run by Parallels, its run by element5 a payment processing vendor that charges your credit card when you buy parallels online. They are courteous and very helpful .. and unlike Parallels where you spend hours on the phone to no avail ... with element5 you won't be on hold for more than 3 mins). Good luck ...

17. Parallelogram

Parallelogram Member

There are more and more people demanding a refund, and I'm getting closer and closer to joining them.

For me, performance is not even an issue because it literally does not work at all.

I think VMWare 2 is pretty good, although it only has to boot successfully in order to be lightyears ahead of Parallels 4...

I'm curious if there is even a single success story for Parallels 4 + Boot Camp + Mac laptop. This seems to be an especially problematic configuration (even though it's one that lots of people use).

Well... yes. But good for you I guess.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  18. random77

random77 Junior Member

I am requesting one too.

The product issues aside...the support is 4th world level.

19. quinnt01

quinnt01 Junior Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

20. quinnt01

quinnt01 Junior Member

Thanks for the refund suggestion. I'll call Monday. I solved my Parallels problem by buying VMware's Fusion. Installed flawlessly and XP runs great. Not a single problem!