Backtrack 3 won't boot

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by trolley, Nov 11, 2008.

1. trolley

trolley Member

I reported this during the beta but it's still not working. Backtrack 3 won't boot in PD4. It worked fine in PD3. Trying to boot from the ISO hangs after displaying the line:

Has anyone else tried this or figured out a workaround?

2. Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump Bit poster

Same problem here. Also with my Gentoo Linux guest OS. Both hang after detecting the floppy.

3. trolley

trolley Member

I tried disabling the floppy in the VM but it still locks up.

4. Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump Bit poster

OK, just figured it out. Set the "acpi=off" kernel option in the boot loader. Fixed both Backtrack and Gentoo for me.

5. trolley

trolley Member

Great, thanks!

6. macfusion

macfusion Bit poster

My upgrade to v4.0 went without a hitch (unlike some) except for loading BackTrack3. I performed all the same attempts to get past the floppy drive hang... with no luck. This was the only post I found that has a resolutiuon. Could you tell be how to set the "acpi=off" kernel option in the boot loader?

7. trolley

trolley Member

Are you booting from the ISO or lilo? If it's from the ISO you hit tab on the boot menu and add acpi=off to the end. If you're booting with lilo you add this line to your lilo.conf then reinstall lilo: append="acpi=off"

8. macfusion

macfusion Bit poster

OK... it took me a couple hrs but figured out to update the bootloader at the boot menu (w/tab). I had attempted to make updates to the bootlilo.sh script, but obviously r/o even though tried to change the rights to the file.

If there's a more permanent solution, I woud be interested to know. Maybe the Parallels will add code to correct this error in an update.

9. macfusion

macfusion Bit poster

Booting from the ISO via USB... must faster. Looking on the Back Track site there a list of 'cheats' as well... "bt acpi-off" will work if entered during the boot sequence.

Thanks.

10. trolley

trolley Member

If you're running it off USB you should be able to edit it permanetly, which you couldn't do with the ISO. I installed it into a VM and made the changes in my lilo.conf.

11. macfusion

macfusion Bit poster

I have the ISO and tried editing the file on my USB, but the entire ISO is R/O. I had attempted to modify the rights via sudo as I am listed as the file owner, but unable to change the rights as well. I moved the file bootlilo.sh off to edit which worked just fine, but obviously cannot copy the file back. I had not tried installing the VM itself... that will be next.

12. trolley

trolley Member

The filesystem is likely being mounted read-only. Check the boot parameters. Maybe you can edit the boot line to change that.

13. ShALLaX

ShALLaX Bit poster

I fixed this issue by upping the video ram to 32mb and upping the system ram to 1GB. I also removed the floppy drive and disabled USB.