Final Version of Parallels Desktop disables Command-Tab and VirtueDesktops

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Parallels User, Jun 15, 2006.

1. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Please look at Preferences menu. I doubt anything was changed with Virtue intergation after RC2.

3. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

4. tychop

tychop Junior Member

Hi Andrew, could you give us more hints please?
    I tried al sort of things in the prefs... To no avail .....

When I am in windows, and windows has the focus, I cannot trigger virtue functions by using key commands. I first need to exit full screenmode. Which switches using an animation (which we all love) to an OSX desktop with a restore-sized parallels window.

What I miss, is the functionality to hit a keycombo once (when working in windows) and be taken to my other Virtue desktop (which doesn't have parralels on it) using an animation. I don't want to end up on a desktop showing a restored window of parallels ....

Is this still possible? It was in one of the beta's ......

Please help us out !!
    For me personally, this is (was?) parallel's most usefull item. Being able to switch without a hitch.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  5. haralds

haralds Member

On first try, it seems to work nicely with You Control Desktops.

6. Jerry

Jerry Member

Have you tried un-installing Parallel tools and re-installing the new one? I've just installed the new version, and everything seems to be working fine with Virtue desktop switching.

7. jameswfrost

jameswfrost Bit poster

I think I have the same issue (although I have a feeling it began when I was using RC2, but I'm not sure why!) - I'm unable to switch desktops out of fullscreen Parallels.

After reading this post, I've noticed that Command - Tab doesn't work either.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

8. MacTopia

MacTopia Member

Works on MBP, dual-display

I haven't seen any differences from RC2 and GA with regard to Vitrue and normal Mac Command+Tab. I do, however, use different triggers to change windows in Virtue...I have mapped Control + Command + arrow(s) instead of Ctrl+Alt+Arrow as Chris does.

My configuration:

Macbook Pro 10.4. 6 w/external video
    Virtue 0.52r155
    Parallels w/guest Windows XP SP2 & GA guest tools installed/updated

9. zyprexa

zyprexa Junior Member

I cannot get VirtueDesktops to work while in fullscreen mode.

I have a MacBook Pro 10.4.6, Virtue 0.52r155 and fhte final release of Parallels with the latest parallel tools installed.. As per the Virtuedesktops website, I ensured that the "Exit full screen on focus lost" is not checked (under Parallels preferences --> user interface --> adavanced menu.

I changed the keys to ctrl-cmd-arrow to now avail. I am not able to use the cmd-tab feature either.

I have to hit ctrl-alt to release fullscreen mode (which flips my screen to windowed mode) then I am able to use these keys.

Any ideas?

10. pdkline

pdkline Junior Member

Please check System Preferences->Universal Access and make sure Enable Access For Accessiblity Devices is NOT enabled.

11. jameswfrost

jameswfrost Bit poster

ah, it looks like that may be it!

That's only slightly annoying as I need it on for a few other things :)

I'll have to write an applescript to toggle it or something. Thanks!

12. zyprexa

zyprexa Junior Member

That was the issue. Hmmm. What is that used for? I did a quick google search and found that various programs (mostly scripts) use it. I don't know if I use a program that needs that. What functionality are we losing on the mac by disabling it?

13. tomrakewell

tomrakewell Bit poster

A Solution

It seems that the use of assistive devices in the Universal Access preference pane has to be switched off for full screen desktop switching with virtue desktops or YouControl-Desktops to work.

Unfortunately, this disables Textpander, which I rely on greatly ...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  14. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

SideTrack which enables the trackpad on portables such as my MacBookPro to do scrolling, corner function mapping (such as right click) also requires that the "assistive devices" be enabled. I'd love to have a virtue desktop display XP in full screen and be able to key switch, but given the choice I would not give up SideTrack. Here's hoping that the Parallels team can find a workaround.

15. VTMac

VTMac Pro

This has been the case in every release of Parallels, so I don' t think this is a bug.

16. stonelli

stonelli Bit poster

The "Witch" preference pane also requires it to be switched on - so no shortcut keys with VirtueDesktops and Parallels, when you rely on "Witch" :confused:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  17. saltydog4791

saltydog4791 Bit poster

I was wondering if there are any plans to find a workaround for this issue. It is by no means a showstopper but it would it be so nice to be able to have command-tab and textpander working at the same time.

Just curious?

saltydog4791

18. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I find heavy use of track pads makes my hand sore

so i always plug in a 4 + button mouse
    (then I get a sore wrist :-(

Hugh W

19. myramoki

myramoki Bit poster

Thank god for this answer! I just recently installed TypeIt4Me, a similar tool to TextExpander and had to turn on the use of assitive devices also. And presto, no more full screen switching, but the two operations were separate enough that I didn't put the two together. This was driving me insane as last night, Virtue worked fine, today it didn't, and I use Virtue constantly.

Thanks Tom!

20. viola

viola Hunter

I'm having this problem as well with the most recent releases and Windows XP Pro. Anyone know of a quick solution? I'm going to dig around a little in the prefs and check out the key combo mappings. I had thought it was a deficiency in Parallels, but it appears that something else may be awry.