Parallels 4.0 - Can't upgrade Boot Camp Partition

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by andrewjsmith76, Nov 12, 2008.

1. andrewjsmith76

andrewjsmith76 Bit poster

Hello!

I installed Parallels 4.0 and it automatically started converting my boot camp VM to be compatible to the new version. After a few minutes of progress bar happiness I get a message saying I have to log into the VM and continue manually. There is a link in the message box pointing to Update help, but it doesn't work (page does not exist).

The VM starts booting and I get a BSOD, automatic restart and an endless cycle ensues.

Help?!

Andrew

2. tjhcom

tjhcom Junior Member

I am also experiencing this problem and am unable to convert my windows boot camp to V4. More specifically, to be clear I am upgrading from Parallels 3 and had no problems with this version. When I selected `convert my boot camp partition` during the initial setup, the process started and then ceased with the message `you must manually` continue. This progressed automatically to the black Windows XP boot screen, but ceased with a blue screen and the message "autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK" -- which only appears for 3 seconds and then progresses to the BSOD with a series of hex characters and a message that includes "The system has been shut down". At this point, the cycle starts over again back to the black Windows XP boot screen. This cycle continues over and over again without ceasing. Any insights?

3. tjhcom

tjhcom Junior Member

Are we alone or are others experiencing this challenge?

4. eread

eread Member

5. andrewjsmith76

andrewjsmith76 Bit poster

not autochk...

Hi.

My Problem is not related to AUTOCHK. I had that after installing SP3 in Parallels (and not in BootCamp). Although I performed the steps linked in the solution (linked in the thread you linked ;-) ) the problem persisted. But so did I, so at some point I got it to work.
    Now, a few days later, I'm upgrading to 4.0 and I get this endless BSOD-reboot-cycle just as described by tjhcom, only in my case there is no AUTOCHK error. just the Windows splash screen (very briefly) and a BSOD. I can try to get a snapshot of the BSOD but I think it's saying that the hardware has changed or something.

Any more ideas?

6. eread

eread Member

None other than don't use an upgraded VM - go from scratch brand new. I did that today with a spare machine, no PD4 problems at all. It is only VMs and bootcamps I have upgraded that have caused me grief.