List Of Fixes For Getting Parallels 4.0 Up And Running...

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by kwgrooms, Nov 12, 2008.

1. kwgrooms

kwgrooms Member

With the help of others on the forum, I resolved the "Unable to connect to Parallels Desktop," "Install Manual Mode," "Unable to Connect to Hard Disk 1," and Parallels Tools Issues.

1. Unable to Connect to Parallels Desktop.
    -Copy these commands into terminal:
    cp /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist .
    sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

-Reboot

-Copy these commands into terminal:
    cp /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist .
    sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

-Reboot

(the "Unable to Connect to Parallels Desktop" should now stop. If not, then I do not know the fix. The second command line will remove any network settings you previously had, such as VPN's and saved wireless networks, etc...but you can manage that.)

2. Install in Manual Mode

-I got this after Step 1 completed during installation. Before you even start the installation process, be sure the "Welcome Screen" is turned off or that Auto-Login is turned in within Windows. I did this in Boot Camp. After I changed that and went back and installed, when the Manual Install box popped up I just pushed ok, logged into Windows, and everything went smoothly.

3. Unable to Connect to Hard Disk 1

-After my initial installation and updating of Parallels Tools, and a reconfiguration of the Parallels Settings, I received the dropdown box that said "Unable to Connect to Hard Disk 1." This problem is resolved 2 ways. First, the easy way is to go to the "Hard Disk" setting in the configuration window and toggle the tab from Boot Camp to Image and then back to Boot Camp. Then retry opening the VM and it should work.

-If you still get the message, go to /Users/<user>/Documents/Parallels/(then right click and Show Package Contents of My Boot Camp.pvm or whatever your .pvm is named)(Then Right Click "Config.pvs" and "Open With...TextEdit."

-In the <hdd> section, find <SystemName>
    -Change "/dev/disk0" or a similar value to the full path of the disk image in the same directory. In my case it was "/Users/<USER>/Documents/Parallels/My Boot Camp.pvm/Hitachi HTS############.hdd"
    -Restart the VM

-This should solve the problem.

4. Parallels Tools

-Open Parallels. Install Parallels Tools if you have not already. Even if you have, install it again. Then Restart. Upon restart, go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > and Uninstall Parallels Tools. Restart Again. Now Install Parallels Tools again. If you get a box with the options "Switch to..." and "Retry," ALWAYS select "Switch to..." until the installation completes and restarts again.

-I now have a perfect running version 4.0 of Parallels, hopefully it will stay that way. Hope this helps some of you and thank you to all of you who helped me through these issues.

2. kwgrooms

kwgrooms Member

Did this actually help anyone or was mine just a very specific case? Seems like it was very general because others had the same problem as me. Maybe all of these problems are resolved, but I doubt it. I'll remove the thread if nobody needs it anymore.

3. KeithT

KeithT Bit poster

I have been having issues with V4 paralles tools and being able to Copy/Paste & Command Tab to jump between open apps. I went to add/remove programs and uninstalled Parallels tools. Restarted and installed once again. Both issues are still there.

4. rderimay

rderimay Junior Member

Results

Hi there,

I tested the PT uninstall / reinstall and it did not solve the problem. I have solved the problem by setiing one processor instead of 2.

5. kwgrooms

kwgrooms Member

My main problem with PT was that my Mouse Synch was not working...this made me think that there were more things not working...so I looked around and there was no Shared Folder on the Desktop. I had installed PT but apparently it only installed like half of the things, if that much. The remove/reinstall worked perfectly for me.

A step I forgot to put is that I activated the CD-Rom drive with my Mac CD-Rom. Then I shut down, went into Config, and reset the CD-Rom to and Image and used the file in /Library/Parallels/Tools. The prl-tools-win.iso as the image of the CD-Rom drive.

When I did this and logged back into the VM it installed properly. There might be some issue with their initial .iso file that is not allowing full installation.

6. KeithT

KeithT Bit poster

Update to Command Tab

Found the issue with Command Tab... in the Prefereneces, Keyboard & Mouse, the check box at the bottom was unchecked Enable Mac OSX system shortcuts was unchecked. After enabling the feature, my Command Tab action now works great. Still an issue with Copy / Paste.

7. unassuming

unassuming Bit poster

Re 3. Unable to Connect to Hard Disk 1: re-set Boot Order

before i had read this post, i selected the disk in config and removed it by clicking the "-" button and re-adding the disk. then when trying to start i didn't get the message "Unable to Connect to Hard Disk 1", but still couldn't boot.

after reading this i tried the change to Image File and back to Boot Camp Partition, which made no difference

the problem was with the Boot Order setting, because the disk had been removed and added back it had been placed at the bottom of the boot order - moving it to the top solved this.

finally i can boot again!