Preparing for Parallels Desktop 4.0 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mrmkirsch, Nov 13, 2008.

1. mrmkirsch

mrmkirsch Bit poster

I encountered baffling problems while upgrading to 4.0 and had to muddle through the process after finding little or no help on the Parallels web site.

As it turned out, the problems I had seemed quite simple to sidestep.

The instructions SHOULD HAVE included a caution:

During the upgrade of your virtual machine (Windows XP) installation, Parallels will start and restart Window automatically several times. Each time Parallels starts the virtual machine, Windows must automatically log in without user intervention.

>>> MAKE SURE YOUR WINDOWS XP INSTALLATION IS SET UP AS FOLLOWS <<<

The Windows XP installation must have only ONE account in it.
    The Windows XP installation must be set to automatically log into the one account it has.

>>> IF YOUR INSTALLATION DOESN'T MEET THIS CRITERIA <<<

The virtual machine upgrade process will fail repeatedly, but you will find that the Windows log-in screen appears at each point of failure and that logging into Windows will cause the current upgrade step to be completed. After this scenario plays out three or four times, your virtual machine upgrade will be completed successfully.

2. Yosem74

Yosem74 Bit poster

Parallels 4.0 prep procedure should include uninstalling 3rd-party firewall?

Perhaps the Parallels 4.0 upgrade instructions should tell users to uninstall their 3rd-party firewalls before
    upgrading, to avoid my Parallel Tools 4.0 hang problem.

Background: I have been using Zone Alarm Security Suite (ZASS) 8.0.059.000 within Parallels 3.

I encountered many of the Parallels 4.0 upgrade issues seen in this forum. Eventually I got to the point
    to installing Parallel Tools, it hung at 100% of part 4 of 4 for eight hours.
    I had backed up my v3 configuration, so with trepidation I Force-quitted my Parallels 4.0 session. On the
    next invocation of Parallels 4.0, my ZASS application popped up asking to identify my network. I think this is what
    had been holding up the completion of my Parallels Tools install, but I couldn't see it (I would try clicking in the Parallels window, but would lose my mouse/keyboard, probably because Parallel Tools hadn't rebooted yet).

Hope my experience helps someone else.