Make sure that you have read/write permission

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Maven, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Maven

Maven Junior Member

Switching from VMware and not having much fun. I would like to use my bootcamp partition but I keep getting this error.

A disk configuration error has occurred. Make sure that you have read/write permissions for the disk.

What am I doing wrong? The bootcamp partition is XP SP2 and is a fresh install. I am using a MacBook Air 1.86 128 SSD.

Thanks in advance.

2. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

Hi.
    Could you please send us problem report (use Help->Report a problem menu item in order to create) and post here it id. We'll try to understand where problem is. Sorry with these inconveniences.

3. peterock

peterock Bit poster

I have the exact same problem, even rebuilt my laptop o/s from scratch just in case it was a dodgy bootcamp partition but this did not work either

4. peterock

peterock Bit poster

Hi Maven,

Is your's a late 2008 new age macbook air? as I have a late october macbook pro so thinking maybe its incompatible somewhere?

And I too am trying to change from vmware which I must add works perfectly with bootcamp

Parallels this ain't a good start for a potential buyer!!

5. Maven

Maven Junior Member

It is the latest version (Late 2008)

6. Maven

Maven Junior Member

Report sent.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  7. jimmytich

jimmytich Bit poster

I am having exactly the same problem -- not sure which permissions I need to set/reset to be able to upgrade my boot camp partisan.

8. sandro

Sorry you forgot to post here problem report id - it's necessary to find necessary problem report at our system.

9. jimmytich

jimmytich Bit poster

Oops. How would I find out the id number of my report or are you only looking for OP's number? I am having exactly the same issue...

10. sandro

Unfortunately it can be found just at message box notifies you that problem report was sent. In this case if you haven't remember it's simpler to create and send another one.

11. Parallelogram

Parallelogram Member

Same thing here on a MacBook - I think it is the last MacBook model before the "Unibody."

Report sent, id 11340.

12. Maven

Maven Junior Member

Your problem report has been sent to the Parallels Support team with id 11432.

Thank you for sending a report to Parallels. We value your feedback as it helps us to improve the product. You can learn your problem status by sending an inquiry with the problem report ID to Parallels Support.

13. jimmytich

jimmytich Bit poster

Failed to configure the Boot Camp partition's hard disk.

A disk configuration error has occurred. Make sure that you have read/write permissions for the disk.

Finally got the report id: id11445

14. gratchie

gratchie Bit poster

I have the exact same problem. macbook air, 128SSD.

Report ID: 11466

thanks,

15. nroberts210@mac.com

nroberts210@mac.com Bit poster

Same issue...

Report had been sent

The resolution I had in V3 was that Parallels prompted me for my admin password - to SUDO I would imagine. This prompt doesn't occur with V4.

16. sandro

Guys.

Thanks for your reports. It's already known issue with Solid State Drive presents in new macbook air models. Will be fixed in nearest updates.

17. peterock

peterock Bit poster

That is some good news, mine also has an SSD.... guess now just have to wait for a fix

18. Parallelogram

Parallelogram Member

I'm using a regular MacBook with a regular hard disk (once again, report id was 11340). I hope the fix works for me too... and I hope it gets here fast, along with the iPhone client, considering I did already pay for the software and I still have nothing to show for it...

19. mygogo

mygogo Bit poster

I also have this issue. I have a Macbook Pro (early 2008) with a regular 200GB hard disk (GPT partitioned).

There are four partitions on my hard disk, the first one with size 200MB is reserved by Mac OS as GPT/MBR usages I think, the second one is Macintosh HD, the other two are all NTFS partitions for Windows Vista: /dev/disks03, /dev/disks04.

Vista is installed on the last partition /dev/disks04. disks03 is only for data storing, doesn't have OS on it.

I am able to use disks04 as Boot Camp partition in 4.0, but fail to use disks03 as bootcamp partition. I was receiving an error message like "make sure you have read/write permission".

But I was able to use disks03 in Paralles Desktop 3.0, by modifying the VM configuration file using: Boot Camp;disks03

I have sent the error report, ID is 11893.

20. jimmytich

jimmytich Bit poster

I'm having the problem on my mac pro desktop.

j