Blue Screen when updating Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PrinceZordar, Nov 12, 2008.

1. PrinceZordar

PrinceZordar Member

I checked the forums and the KB and found lots of Blue Screen issues, but not this one in particular.

I had PD3 running fine, then upgraded to 4. During the update of Boot Camp, it said I had to log in and select the setup program to continue. Windows XP Pro started up, got as far as the light blue "Welcome", then crashed with a blue screen and a message "DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELING_PENDING_OPERATION" It then went into a reboot loop with the same error every time. I can boot to Boot Camp normally, but can no longer get to it via Parallels.

This is my punishment for buying an upgrade without testing it first. Happened with 3 and now they are doing it to me again with 4.

Um... help?

MacBook Pro 17" CoreDuo, 2GB, 10.5.5, Boot Camp is running Windows XP Pro SP3 (OEM version.)

-Z

2. PrinceZordar

PrinceZordar Member

Little more info

Disgusted with the upgrade, I downloaded the trial of VMWare Fusion. It installed and started Boot Camp, then said it was installing the VMWare Tools. At the same time, the Parallels Tools tried to run (couldn't because VMWare was already running.) After the VMWare set was installed, I allowed the Parallels set to run, which completed and then rebooted the virtual machine. VMWare boots my Boot Camp partition fine, but Parallels tried to continue the upgrade, crashed (filing a bug report) and then ran into the same reboot loop.

So, good news is my Boot Camp partition is not trashed.

Bad news is, the product I paid for doesn't work.

-Z

3. PrinceZordar

PrinceZordar Member

Okay, I don't know what else to do at this point. I have uninstalled the Parallels Tools from Windows XP, deleted all my PVM files, and tried to create a new VM for Boot Camp. It always does the same thing - it says it needs to update the VM, then tries to start Windows, and dies with the "DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELING_PENDING_OPERATION" error. I am able to dual-boot to it, and VMWare Fusion works fine.

-Z