Can you say class action lawsuit?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by alvin moon, Nov 13, 2008.

1. alvin moon

alvin moon Junior Member

Parallels even deletes other VMs w/o your knowledge; I've never experienced anything like this w/ a Mac. Wintel, yes -- Mac, never.

2. eliotw

eliotw Member

I think you are correct...I just noticed that a CentOS applicance VM I had setup with PD3 is now missing from the PD4 config and it's HDD image is MIA. What's going on here ??

3. eliotw

eliotw Member

For a bit more detail, I had installed the 'CentOS-5.0.dmg' PVA in July with PD3.

After upgrading to PD4, that entry is now missing from the VM Directory and the only remains of the VM are a broken alias file "$HOME/Libraray/Parallels/CentOS PVA" that pointed to "/Users/Shared/Parallels/CentOS" but is now not there.

Maybe the PVA installed itself in a way that was not supported by the upgrade ? I failed to backup that VM so now the work I'd done with the Cent OS PVA is lost.

Anyone else have similar issues ?

4. eliotw

eliotw Member

I opened problem report #11540 for this issue.

5. sergeym

sergeym Parallels Team

Hello, alvin moon!

Could you please explain your problem in more details?

6. sergeym

sergeym Parallels Team

Hello, eliotw !
    We'll contact you by mail, regarding this issue.

7. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

Hi.

Could you remember when you're creating VM at version 3 whether you're creating it as shared for others VM or just for itself usage.

8. sandro

Actually PD4 shouldn't do such actions. Could you specify your problem?

9. alvin moon

alvin moon Junior Member

I don't know how to specify the problem other than this: I have both VMW and Parallels. I had VMW machines installed on my computer. When I installed 4.0 and, after having problems, quit and rebooted, the VMW machines were gone. I'm not a techie, but I searched everywhere and could not find them. The biggest problem I have is that I no longer have PCLaw on my computer and I now have trouble installing that critical (for work) program. I've tried re-installing 3.0 and even 4.0 but I get a "preflight script" error. Parallels 3.0 wasn't perfect, but once I'd figured out how to use multiple monitors, I was fairly happy with it.

When I started it up the other day and was advised that there was an "update", I thought that it was an update to fix a few bugs. Now, I've lost a week and $10,000.00 worth of billable hours. I know you guys are doing your level best, but its hard not to be incredibly angry. Releasing v4.0 seems pretty irresponsible and, at the very least, ill-considered. I just want solutions -- I don't want to b**** for the sake thereof.

10. eliotw

eliotw Member

Sandro - I don't recall when I setup the CentOS PVE, but it did seem a bit odd to find that broken alias in /Users/Shared, so maybe so. Would the PVE installer have automatically added it to PD3 ?

Eliot

11. sandro

Yes, PD3 PVA installer adding VMs automatically into VM directory. Could you please post here output of command:

ls -l /Users/Shared/Parallels/

performed from Terminal.

12. eliotw

eliotw Member

I was contacted via email by Parallels support and found that the *.hdd files had not been deleted, but the VM definition was lost when I upgraded to PD4. So it's as bad as I originally thought.

Sandro - There are no files in the /Users/Shared/Parallels directory.

13. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

alvin moon, it is impossible PD4 to remove VMware VMs. Please, check their default location in ~/Documents/Virtual Machines/.

I am sure if you will be less aggressive and describe your problems to our Support Team you will get them fixed.