Trouble Seeing External BD Burner

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by lucas cheadle, Oct 1, 2008.

1. lucas cheadle

lucas cheadle Bit poster

Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz, 4 GB RAM
    Sony Vegas/DVD Architect Pro 5
    Attempting to burn a BluRay DVD with LG Super Multi Blue BE06 external BD burner, via USB. Burner doesn't show up in the authoring program. I've been to the configuration editor and tried all the USB options to no avail. When I open and close the burner tray an OSX finder window opens to tell me about how blank a disk is. This means that Windows isn't recognizing the burner, right? Using Parallels means dedicating USB ports to Windows or OSX, not both, right?
    I could use some troubleshooting tips. Thanks

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Did you connect that device to Windows from Devices -USB?

3. Deere4840

Deere4840 Junior Member

Also having no luck...

I am having problems with my LG BE06, too. Specific model name is: BE06LU11. Firmware YP01
    And yes. I activated it from Devices USB. Contacted LG and they said I have the most recent firmware.

Sometimes I get the error: "Unable to open device/file: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE06LU11"
    It always asks to insert disk into Drive E: even when there is one in there.
    When I try to launch that crappy CyberLink HiDef Suite it says the drive can't be found.

Any other ideas? Does the LaCie D2 Blu-Ray burner work because this piece of crap LG is going back to Newegg.
    I'm running Parallels 3.0 (Build 5608) | Win XP Home | 8 Core MacPro

4. John@Parallels

Is burner is recognized on mac OS side, if yes, you c an select in CD/DVD real devices in Configuration Editor - CD/DVD

5. Deere4840

Deere4840 Junior Member

Lg Be06lu11

Yes. The macintosh recognizes it in OS X 10.4.11. I haven't tried a Blu-Ray but it can spool up a standard CD or DVD in OS X. Nothing at all spools up in the Win XP side.
    I'll have to get back to the computer to try your suggestion. I'm assuming you are talking about Parallels Configuration Editor. I get there by pausing the Windows startup and select it from inside there, correct?

6. John@Parallels

Start Parallels Desktop holding Command key

7. Deere4840

Deere4840 Junior Member

No dice. It freezes Windows up. I can disconnect the drive down at the bottom of the screen (the parallels screen) and the computer responds again. The minute I connect the drive back, Windows quits responding. I'm installing the Parallels v4.0 upgrade now and will see if I have any more luck.

8. Deere4840

Deere4840 Junior Member

Screw it.
    Upgraded to 4 and said the install failed.
    Windows will still boot, but still no response if I activate the Blu-Ray burner.
    I sent the burner back. This is just absolutely ridiculous.

9. Deere4840

Deere4840 Junior Member

FWIW - I brought in another LG burner just to see if I had a defective unit. This one also works fine on a Windows machine (Win XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 2) on a Dell Precision PWS 390. It freezes up in Parallels on Win XP Home.

If it will help, I took screenshots of the Devices panel in the Control Panel - 22 different windows as I went into the Blu-Ray device. I can post the contents here.

I seem to be involved in two similarly running threads about Blu-Ray burner not seen in Parallels. This one here and this one: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=132750&posted=1#post132750