App for devs to use WM5 devices in Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by maverick808, Jun 15, 2006.

1. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

I wrote an app to help developers make their WM5 devices work inside Parallels. What it does...

* Forces WM5 devices to sync reliably on each connection (not just the first)
    * Maintains the connection... devices will no longer disconnect after a period of time

What it does NOT do...

* Allow normal users to sync their devices

The reasons this app is not for normal users is because it does not allow synching of any folders, email, etc through ActiveSync and also requires you to put your WM5 device in developer mode which is not secure.

So for developers here are the instructions. First, your device will have to be in serial mode. Use the USBSwitch app which is most likely in Start->Accessories to do this. If it's not there then you can download it from here.

Next you have to put your device in developer mode if you've not already done that. Instructions for doing this are available from here.

Finally, run the app and plug your device in and it should work. You can now reliably sync and keep your device connected. So hopefully no more annoyances in deploying your apps to test them.

Currently there is one known bug. If you have the app running when you shutdown Windows itself you might see a little warning box pop up and disappear quickly. It doesn't do any harm.

You can download the app itself from here.

Oh and after it's installed there is no start menu shortcut. Just run it from program files/aspecto software.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2006
  2. carsten801

carsten801 Bit poster

ok.. i'll give this "hack" a try this weekend... hope this works...

3. merwin

merwin Member

This app works wonders. Thanks!

One question, how does this app work? I notice that I get the usb failure sound and then all of a sudden activesync connects. I also noticed that the only thing that works is installing apps and browsing the device. I can't even open activesync when the app is running.

Thanks for the app!

4. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

To be honest I don't fully understand what's going on myself. The failure on the RNDIS connection is almost certainly due to the network adapter failing. I'm not sure why this happens and my big hope is that Parallels will figure it out and make the network adapter work as this would be the best solution.

My colleague and I realised that when you plug in a WM5 device in serial mode the driver fails but if you then restart the driver it syncs fine. However, it then disconnects if the connection isn't used for a while.

We simply automated the process of detecting when the driver fails and immediately restarting the driver. This solves the problem of the initial connection. Then every once in a while the app just requests the directory listing of the root of the mobile device. This stops the connection from going fully idle so it never disconnects.

If Parallels would kindly let us know how long their upgrade to USB will be and what new support it will provide then I could decide whether or not it would be worth investing time improving the app or investigating the network adapter problems myself in more detail.

PS: You should be able to open ActiveSync fine while this app is running. I can open ActiveSync, explore the device contents, deploy and debug all fine. What device are you using? Perhaps it's doing something funny that none of my devices do.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  5. merwin

merwin Member

I think it might have had problems with the Office 2007 beta being installed... Anyways, I got activesync working now :)

6. indiekiduk

indiekiduk Junior Member

Thanks maverick808, I now have my WM5 PDA synced with my parallels installation. Now I can use my MacbookPro for windows mobile developement - perfect!

7. indiekiduk

indiekiduk Junior Member

By the way a search for WM5 doesnt work on this forum, so many users might not find this thread.

8. merwin

merwin Member

This should really be a sticky thread

9. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

I'm glad some people are finding this useful. I've updated the app so that it now works for all users and has an autostart feature. I posted a new thread about it since the fact that it works for everyone and not just devs is quite important.

The new thread is at...

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=13228#post13228

10. kaufman

kaufman Member

Has anyone from Parallels ever comented on the problems with Pocket PC syncing? I have sent them several emails, and I have read posts by numerous people and have never seen them reply.

Perhaps someone from Parallels would care to comment.

Michael

11. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

Thanks for making this a sticky but I think only the more recent "WM5 for all" thread needs to be sticky since it contains a simpler explanation, a link to the app and works for everyone, including developers.

12. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

OK - I will unstick this one.

13. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Michael,

We are aware of problems with WM5 devices and currently working on the problem. Fix will be included in next software update, but I can't give you exact timeframe, sorry.