Installing an upgrade edition of Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by cylack, Jun 15, 2006.

1. cylack

cylack Bit poster

Hi,

I'm trying to install an upgrade edition of Windows XP and I am unable to get the installation to recognize my old copy of Windows 98 because I can't eject the Windows XP install disk from the internal CD drive and the external USB drive isn't being accessed. Do I need to actually buy the full version of Windows XP or is there a way to get this to install?

2. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

If you have access to a PC with Nero Burning Rom and a program to extract the boot sector of the Windows XP CD (such as IsoBuster) you can burn a new Windows XP installation CD consisting of the Windows XP installation files and files from the Windows 98 CD which should allow you to get past the upgrade requirement.

Do you have access to a PC with Nero Burning Rom and IsoBuster?

[​IMG]

3. cylack

cylack Bit poster

Yes, I have Nero on my PC, but I've never used Iso Buster. Is this easy to do?

4. andgarden

andgarden Member

Just make ISOs of both discs, and attach the 98 ISO when the XP installer requests it.

5. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

Let's go then.

(1) Copy all the files in the Windows XP installation CD to a folder on the hard disk, say XPCD.
    (2) Extract the boot sector of the CD using IsoBuster (instructions in the link below)
    (3) Copy the files in the Win98 folder of the Windows 98 CD (do not copy the folders inside) to a folder named Win98 insider the XPCD folder created in (1).
    (4) Burn the files in the XPCD folder and the extracted boot sector to a blank CD-R by following the instructions in the link below.

Ignore the slipstream instructions in the link below.
    Slipstream Windows XP SP2

Or, you may do what the other poster said, which is to make ISO images of your Windows XP CD and Windows 98 CD using Nero or the Mac OS X Disk Utility, and use those ISO images to install Windows XP.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  6. nouno99

nouno99 Bit poster

I just suspended the VM when it asked for the other CD, swapped the CDs, restarted the VM, and suspended the VM again to put XP CD back in and restarted. Only takes a minute.