Help Needed with 4.0 - Network Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Wildcat_1, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Wildcat_1

Wildcat_1 Bit poster

All

I like many have had issues upgrading from 3.0 to 4.0 but was finally able to get there..........or so I thought. Now I can boot into my XP VM and it shows my network is connected but I cannot hit anything both on my LAN or the Internet. Even the data blips you see in the icon on the toolbar fail to appear. What am I doing wrong ? I have tried shared, host only and bridged and still nothing. Also tried AIRPORT wireless and Ethernet. This is driving me crazy

Any advice is greatly appreciated

2. brucehobbs

brucehobbs Junior Member

I seem to be in about the same boat, although I was able to connect after upgrading my Windows 2000 VM yesterday once I selected the interface from Windows Start>Settings>Network and Dial-up Connections>Local Area Connection 5 and received an enabled message. I paused the VM last night and then discovered the network problem when I resumed the VM this morning. Shutting down the VM and disabling/re-enabling the network interface seem to have made no difference.

Oddly enough (at least to me) I am getting a DHCP-assigned IP address, but I'm unable to even ping my router or the host machine much less get to anything on the Internet.

3. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Brucehobbs, could you please send a problem report and post the number of report here?

Wildcat_1, could you please right-click on My Computer then -> Manage -> Device Manage -> Network Adapter (unfold it), make a screenshot of the VM with unfolded network adapter and attach the screenshot here or create a support ticket with this screenshot? Also I need to see an output of ipconfig /all. To do it, please click Start->Run -> cmd.exe and in the appeared windows please type ipconfig /all and either make a screenshot or please check - aren't there anything wrong? Adapter should at least have an IP-address. The recommended way is to use Shared Networking always.

4. Wildcat_1

Wildcat_1 Bit poster

Update

Elric

Thanks for the quick response. I took both before and after screen grabs (before and after kaspersky). It seems that the Kaspersky drivers weren't loading (must admit didn't know that Parallels relied on Kaspersky to allow network access). I re-installed Kaspersky and rebooted then it not only removed the erroneous entries but also allowed full Internet access via all sources (Airport, Ethernet and via Cisco tunnel).

I have attached the screen shots for your reference. Does the Parallels network module require Kaspersky ? I didn't think it did, but in this case it resolved my issues. My thoughts are that the real issue was erroneous entries that this removed. If I don't need ot be running it then I will remove.

Thanks again

Attached Files:

5. brucehobbs

brucehobbs Junior Member

Problem report submitted. ID 11627.

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Ok, I've got the problem report. In the logs there are no errors..

Could you please send me an output of (screenshot is ok) of
    ipconfig /all

(I'd want to seen names of the interfaces and their ip-addresses.)

then please try to
    ipconfig /release
    and then
    ipconfig /renew
    and after few seconds (when renew is finished) check whether interface has got IP-address. Then please try to ping host (by its ip address)

--

2) Does the same problem appears after switching to Shared networking (using icon on the bottom right of Parallels VM Window, so reboot is not needed) and
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    (note ipconfig /release is important command)

Although Parallels Tools should renew IP-addresses of adapters after change of networking type, ipconfig releas/renew step will ensure that renew is really occured

--

Thank you for the report

7. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

No, Parallels should run ok without Kaspersky.

Probably, some error have occured inside Kaspersky during upgrade. So reinstall or remove should resolve the issue.

Yes, it is safe to remove it.

8. brucehobbs

brucehobbs Junior Member

Below is a copy of the output from a CMD.EXE window with my comments interspersed in brackets []
    =====
    M

9. brucehobbs

brucehobbs Junior Member

Requested output for outbound network problem

I tried to paste the attached file in a Quick Reply, but that didn't appear to work. The attached file is the output from a CMD.EXE session. My comments are interspersed in brackets [].

Attached Files:

10. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It was tough one!

You have three adapters and

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5 (Parallels Ethernet Adapter): IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.189
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2 (Microsoft Loopback Adapter): IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.219

So Windows confuses and seems that made default routing through adapter "Microsoft Loopback Adapter" wich has the same subnet address 192.168.1.0

Please make the subnet of Microsoft Loopback Adapter be different from 192.168.1.0 and all should work.. usually Loopback Adapter doesn't need to have gateway and it's subnet should be 255.255.255.255..

11. brucehobbs

brucehobbs Junior Member

I wasn't able to specify that subnet so I stuck with the 255.255.255.0 setting. After switching the IP Address to 192.168.0.1 network access seems to have been restored. If 127.0.0.1 is always available couldn't I simply disable that adapter?

Safari is crashing on launch now, but Firefox seems to be working fine. I'm able to make a VPN connection. Thanks!

12. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Glad to hear that!

Yes, I think that Loopback adapter can be disabled.. But setting it's address to 192.168.0.1 seems also ok

Safari may crash due to some incompatibility with Win2k, but if it was working on the VM before upgrade, we definitely should check this issue.

13. brucehobbs

brucehobbs Junior Member

If disabling that adapter doesn't break anything with the default 127.0.0.1 address it would seem less confusing (at least to me). Thoughts?

Safari (3.525.12.0) was working fine before the upgrade to version 4. I believe there's a newer release available now so I'll look into that ASAP. IIRC the newer release is security-related so I don't imagine it'll fix any problem, but I think it makes sense to pursue any problems using the latest version.

14. Allan Crowson

Allan Crowson Bit poster

I have a similar problem:
    MacBook 2006 model, XP Home SP2 (upgraded to SP3) after installation.

Networking generally worked. I brought in Safari/Bonjour for Windows, and then networking no longer worked. I've restored defaults up one side and down the other. I've tried Shared and Bridged, with and without DHCP. Currently everything is back to defaults, and all machines, virtual and real, have been restarted multiple times. Running ipconfig (with or without any arguments) returns the helpful result: "Windows IP Configuration"

Occasionally "Repair this connection" is an available choice for the network in the XP Control Panels. Repair returns: "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be repeated. Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed. For assistance, contact the person who manages your network." Well, that person would be me, and I have no clue what to do here.

That's on top of the overall headache that moving from PD3 to PD4 turned out to be. The upgrader rendered the VM unusable. The backup it made refused to work with a TimeMachine-restored PD3. So I'm working with a fresh XP install.

This is nuts.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  15. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Could you please select the Shared networking mode, reboot the Windows VM and post here the full output of the command ipconfig /all ?

Please make a note if any Message Box will appear while starting the VM..

16. Cello

Cello Junior Member

I have the same problem as Allan.

In shared mode, after rebooting, ipconfig/all says only "Windows IP Configuration".

There is nothing else.

17. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Cello, Please open the support ticket and inform me about the number.
    Most likely that you have the same problem as Wildcat_1 in this topic.

18. Cello

Cello Junior Member

Thanks Elric and Dmitry.

There are lots of complaints on this website, but I for one am very pleased with the support I've received.

19. Allan Crowson

Allan Crowson Bit poster

Well, with Windows acting like ... Windows, I finally have some successful networking. I cannot point to anything that I tried differently from what I had tried before, but for some reason it is now working.

Anyway, here is the result from ipconfig:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.ALLANCROWSOBDC3>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.211.55.5
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.211.55.1

Ethernet adapter {29A19A1B-BCEF-4492-86A5-01C6CDEAF0A1}:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.ALLANCROWSOBDC3>

20. ralphrmartin

ralphrmartin Member

I am having similar problems. Both Linux and Windows VMs were working well, with Networking fine. I didn't change anything as far as I know, and now the Networking does not work in ANY VM.

The symptom looks like I am getting host only networking (I get a dhcp address, and I can ping my real host, but cannot connect to anything further away). I have double checked that I am using shared networking, not host only. I have reinstalled Parallels, but that did not fix the issue. I have also reset Parallels Preferences to defaults, but that did not fix the issue (I have to use 172.22.2.x addresses for my shared hosts as 10.x.x.x address are already in use on my campus network).

I have tried pretty much everything. I have restored my my Apple Network preferences from time machine, too, in case that was it. still no good.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Note that this has happened to several different VMs on this machine, so it is something in the way Parallels itself is set up or functioning which is causing the issue, or maybe the host, not the VMs.