Cannot Install Parallels Tools (4.0) After Upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SpykeDaddy, Nov 12, 2008.

1. SpykeDaddy

SpykeDaddy Bit poster

I am running a MacPro 2 x 2 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 3 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 memory on MacOS 10.5.5. I was running successfully under Parallels version 3.0. I have a virtual machine for Windows XP, with a very basic installation of programs.

I upgraded to 4.0 and received an error at the very end of the installation. Upon quitting, surprisingly Parallels launched and I was able to use my virtual machine. (It appears to be working so far despite the installation "error".) However, I have an error message on the bottom of my screen that reads, "Parallels Tools are not installed. From the Virtual Machine menu, choose Install Parallels Tools."

I ran the install with no problems and it automatically rebooted. The error persists. I looked in Control Panels / Add Remove Programs and it has a version 4.xxx of Parallels Tools. I've rebooted my Mac and virtual machine several times. I've reinstalled the Tools several times. The error message will not go away.

Is my installation really hosed? Or is this a bug?

Suggestions?

2. summitscout

summitscout Hunter

Does your VM otherwise work? Submit a Problem Report from the Help menu.

3. SpykeDaddy

SpykeDaddy Bit poster

The VM does work, but Coherence and other Parallels Tools do not work. I simply cannot get the tools to install. I reported it through the Problem Report.

Does anyone in support have any idea how I can get Parallels Tools to work? I really prefer Coherence to get my work done.

4. summitscout

summitscout Hunter

5. SpykeDaddy

SpykeDaddy Bit poster

The Coherence button is greyed out. I can't click it to switch to that view. I also tried the "View" menu and it is greyed out there as well.

I tried uninstalling Parallels Tools, rebooted and then tried installing Parallels Tools again.

Now I get an error, "Parallels Tools Installer Information, Error 1720. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action InstallPrinter script error -2147024770, : Line 160, ..."

Coherence is listed as a Parallels Tools feature. The error then forced a reboot. When the reboot was finished, I installed Parallels Tools again through the menu option and it worked with no error. It rebooted and now everything works - EVEN Coherence.

So - that's the trick everyone - UNINSTALL Parallels Tools, reboot and REINSTALL it again - even if an error persists.

6. summitscout

summitscout Hunter

reintalling tools several times until it takes has been a common experience.