XP Install hangs midway through installation with Version 4

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by quinnt01, Nov 14, 2008.

1. quinnt01

quinnt01 Junior Member

My problems with upgrading from V.3 to V.4 are the worst of any upgrade I've ever had in 30 years. To make a long story short, my Mac wouldn't even boot after the install, and after working two hours with a Mac Genius, we resorted to an erase and install of Leopard and then restoring all my Mac files. Of course the V3 archived virtual machines were never backed up and they are lost. I installed V.4, but now I can't get Windows XP installed. It installs about half way and goes into some kind of endless loop. I've tried three times.

There appears to be no practical access to Parallels tech support. The one time I got through I was on hold for 40 minutes until I got disconnected. V.3 worked just fine. Why the hell did I upgrade?!

Can someone suggest a solution?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. quinnt01

quinnt01 Junior Member

I solved my problem by buying VMware. The purchase is overall much cheaper than trying to resolve the Parallels issue and it works flawlessly.

3. raleedy

raleedy Member

Search here. Many have had similar problems. You can get through it (though it's a bit ugly). What seems to happen is that the install routine boots Windows, which stops for one reason or another (or many) for user input. Use Cmd-Ctl-Opt-R to exit the automated install routine, give the required user input, and the install will continue. Often, the input required is to activate Windows or postpone it. I successfully postponed activation (since the easy way to do it requires connectivity, and I wasn't sure I would have it yet) until the install was done.

4. quinnt01

quinnt01 Junior Member

Thanks Raleedy for your help, but I've already switched to Fusion.

Tom