Activation won't take my previous version activation key

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rmansfield, Nov 14, 2008.

1. rmansfield

rmansfield Member

I bought a Parallels 4 upgrade on the day it was released. I got an activation key, but it asked me for a previous activation key for the version I was upgrading to to complete the process. I had upgraded to v. 3 last year, so I entered that number. That didn't work. So I got a temporary number until I could sort things out. Today I'm trying to sort this out.

Late in the day after I purchased the upgrade, I got a second email from Parallels stating that the earlier number was duplicated, so I was given a new activation number.

So here's where I stand: when I enter my new activation number, it takes it, but asks me for my earlier activation number from the version I'm upgrading from. I enter my original v. 3 activation number, but it doesn't take that either. I can enter the activation number I got off the disc sleeve from my original purchase in 2006 and it doesn't like it either.

How am I supposed to upgrade this product?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. agrj

agrj Member

I have the same problem.

anyone from parallels could help us?????

3. mavidal

mavidal Product Expert

I am also having the same issue with two computers, sad to see there is no response here on this.

4. mavidal

mavidal Product Expert

Hello guys:

In another thread, I found the answer to this issue, you need to use the original key that you got when you purchased the product, it can be the 2.X key or the 3.x key, you cannot use one of the upgrade keys. In my case, I was using the 3.0 upgrade key that I got and was stuck in the same limbo. I used the 2.2 original key and that took.

I hope this helps.

MV

5. rmansfield

rmansfield Member

As I said in the original post, I've done this and it won't take it.

6. Clarkey

Clarkey Bit poster

I had the same problem when trying to use my v3 upgrade activation key. I managed to unearth this resource - http://kb.parallels.com/4661. I used Solution 1 - downloaded the LicenceChecker app & this found my original v 2.2 key, which was accepted.

Good Luck
    Keith..

7. rsleonard

rsleonard Bit poster

I had the same problem with a previous version 3 upgrade. Parallels wouldn't help, and eventually, basically, forced me to buy a full version. Good luck. Here's my advice...wait until the bugs are worked out.

8. _joerg_

_joerg_ Junior Member

hi,

i have this problem, too. upgrade key is accepted but all other keys (3.0 upgrade, 2.5 full version) are ignored.

unfortunately i already converted my vm to the new version-so i am locked out....

jörg

9. Alain Benveniste

Alain Benveniste Bit poster

I opened a thread about the same problem.
    When we bought our 4.0 upgrade it is said we have to buy it in the same language.
    I can't remember if we could do so that choice when buying DP 3.0.
    I suppose it is the problem...

Alain

10. rmansfield

rmansfield Member

Excellent! That did the trick. And really, I think the key was entering the original number without the dashes because that's what the script produced. I would imagine that a lot of people will be stuck like this.

11. _joerg_

_joerg_ Junior Member

hi,

i think it is a language mixup: accidentaly (or there wasn't an option) i bought an ENGLISH update key for a GERMAN version.....

joerg

12. STim

STim Bit poster

13. _joerg_

_joerg_ Junior Member

did so already

joerg

14. _joerg_

_joerg_ Junior Member

hi,

no answer so far from parallel, if they swap a useless english key for a german key

jörg

15. arh

arh Bit poster

I have the same language problem. My v3 key is for the German version and the update is the English version. It won't accept the activation key of v3.

I opened a support ticket 3 days ago but no answer so far.

Currently I am working with a trial key but I hope they can solve it before this key expires.

16. _joerg_

_joerg_ Junior Member

me 2, time is ticking - i do hope i'll get an answer and a valid key before the trial-key closes down. btw i opened my ticket last saturday (15.11.).

jörg

17. rschoppm

rschoppm Bit poster

... same thing here .. bought an english upgrade key for an Japanese original, opened a support ticket on Monday night, no answer until now.

Why is parallels not Multilingual anyway?? Makes absolutely no sense to me. OSX definitely provides such capabilities.

18. _joerg_

_joerg_ Junior Member

perhaps parallel could make a statement, if there are willing to swap a wrong key or if we are just waiting in vain.

jörg

19. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Dear Parallels Desktop users,

Please, find the localized (German and French products - PD itself as well as Acronis products and Parallels Transporter)here:

DE
    download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/de_de/parallels/update1/parallels-transporter-3522-de_DE.run (for Linux Guest OSes)
    download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/de_de/parallels/update1/Parallels-Transporter-3522-de_DE.exe (for Windows Guest OSes)
    download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/de_de/parallels/update1/Parallels-Desktop-de_DE-4.0.3522.206020.dmg
    download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/de_de/parallels/update1/Acronis-True-Image-de_DE.exe
    download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/de_de/parallels/update1/Acronis-Disc-Director-de_DE.exe

FR
    download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/fr_fr/parallels/update1/Acronis-Disc-Director-fr_FR.exe
    download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/fr_fr/parallels/update1/Acronis-True-Image-fr_FR.exe
    download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/fr_fr/parallels/update1/Parallels-Desktop-fr_FR-4.0.3522.206018.dmg
    download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/fr_fr/parallels/update1/Parallels-Transporter-3522-fr_FR.exe (for Windows Guest OSes)
    download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/fr_fr/parallels/update1/parallels-transporter-3522-fr_FR.run (for Linux Guest OSes)

Other localised versions will be released in the nearest future

20. _joerg_

_joerg_ Junior Member

hello data

thank you for the links to the localized versions. but my problem is, that i bought the wrong update key (EN instead of DE) and want to give it back and get the right key (DE) because i have a DE pd3.0 full version.

jörg