Failed to open the Parallels networking module

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BlueCrow, Nov 11, 2008.

1. radesix

radesix Member

Still not resolved...

I have tried to load the driver (which states it is already loaded) and i've used the reset defaults option. Neither of these options work.

I have created help report ID 12220.

Please advise.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Your case seemed to be not a generic (concluded this after looking into the logs) so to not confuse others I'll write a private message

3. radesix

radesix Member

Thank you for your quick response; however, I seem to have resolved the issue. I tried a several things and am not quite sure what solved the problem but it's working even after multiple reboots.

Thanks

4. CaptSaltyJack

CaptSaltyJack Member

I am getting the networking module error with Ubuntu 8.10. Any fix for this yet??

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Have yuo tried the
    sudo /sbin/kextload /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext
    command? What was the response?

please type also the command
    sudo killall -HUP prl_naptd

Anyway this issue should be fixed in the upcoming hotfix

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  6. CaptSaltyJack

CaptSaltyJack Member

A reboot worked - thanks!

7. lanewman

lanewman Bit poster

4.0 upgrade was working for a few days for me. Then last night I started getting the networking module error.

The reboot didn't help.

I issued the sudo command and was told the driver was already loaded.

I'm still unable to get networking working again.

8. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I've send you a message. Please check your private messages on this forum.

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

10. likegadgets

likegadgets Member

it has been a nightmare

I am downloading 3540 now as I have the exact same problem (after networking worked for a few days).
    Hopefully it fixes my other issues - connecting to isight, and connecting to CD1. Also, my booting up takes so much longer with PD4 compared to PD3. So far, incredibly frustrating upgrade experience.

11. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  12. chasew

chasew Bit poster

Error loading ktext

I am having the same troubles. I have tried everything listed on this thread and the linked threads.

When I run ktextload I get the following message:

kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext: no such bundle file exists
    can't add kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext (file access/permissions) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

chasew, are you running Parallels Desktop 4.0?

14. chasew

chasew Bit poster

Parallels 4.0

Yes, I am running Parallels 4.0 with the latest build - 3540

15. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

If you receive this error, then something went completly wrong with installer of Parallels Desktop.
    Please mount the .dmg - image and uninstall the Parallels Desktop and then install it again. Then reboot your Mac.

16. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Although... wait for a moment with reinstalling of Parallels Desktop..
    are you running the "sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext" or just "kextload /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext" without sudo ?

Anyway, before reinstall, please send a problem report (Help->Report a problem) and post here the number of sent report

17. chasew

chasew Bit poster

Yes, I was running the command as sudo and I was prompted for my password.

I have tried uninstalling, installing, rebooting, permissions repair from both my account and startup disk, etc.

___
    Your problem report has been sent to the Parallels Support team with id 20585.
    ___
    Thank you for sending a report to Parallels. We value your feedback as it helps us to improve the product. You can learn your problem status by sending an inquiry with the problem report ID to Parallels Support.

18. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I see..

please post here the output of next four commands
    sudo ls -al /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext/
    sudo ls -al /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/
    sudo ls -al /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/MacOS/
    sudo ls -al /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/Resources/

19. chasew

chasew Bit poster

All four commands generated the same result:
    ls: /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext/: No such file or directory:/
    user$ sudo ls -al /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/
    ls: /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/: No such file or directory
    user:/ sudo ls -al /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/MacOS/
    ls: /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/MacOS/: No such file or directory
    user:/ sudo ls -al /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/Resources/
    ls: /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/Resources/: No such file or directory

20. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I've forwarded the issue to the team that works on installer, someone of them should reply soon