The upgrade to 4.0 is a DISASTER

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by prefabsprouter, Nov 13, 2008.

1. rstrauss

rstrauss Junior Member

Hey, I don't blame you for jumping ship. I wasn't happy with my experience either. But people should know that while the installation is buggy, the finished product is not.

2. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

My finsihed installation only kind of works

3. MarkOH

MarkOH Bit poster

No satisfaction

First of all, can I say that the upgrade has not gone smoothly. I will be very careful in considering any future upgrade.
    I am upgrading from Parallels 3.
    I installed ver 4.0, and began upgrade on prior Windows VM. After a very rough start it looked like it was progressing well. Then after a long time, I got the following error: "An error occurred when upgrading the virtual machine. Follow this link to learn how to complete the upgrade process." Link provided no useful information. Upgrade documentation is inadequate.
    After clicking okay, I could see the machine running, and it looked like the screensaver was running. I'm guessing that multi-user and/or screensaver configuration on the prior machine affected the upgrade process. If I had known, I could have made changes to the configuration under ver 3, to make the upgrade smoother. (But no instructions were provided, suggesting inadequate testing of upgrade.)
    I used Parallels to enter ctrl-alt-del to get it going again, and an Updating Preferences dialog came up. Then the machine froze. After waiting a long time I gave up.
    I have gone through this above twice, with same grief.
    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels 4.0, including following procedure to check and repair disk permissions.
    I have already wasted too much time. I am now uninstalling ver 4, and reinstalling 3. I will continue with 3 until Parallels gets this upgrade fixed.
    Another unhappy customer.

4. summerleas

summerleas Bit poster

After 4.5 hours I managed to upgrade a Windows XP virtual machine. I did this, after one failed attempt, by IGNORING all error messages, not interfering and just letting the process go ... and go ... and go.

I have been working with computers since 1961 and used Intel 286 boxes on, Apple IIs, 128K Macs on to my current 2.66GHz Mac Pro. During this time I have noticed that software has continually deteriorated. For example, very good versions of MS Word and Excel used to run efficiently on computers with 1/2000th of the RAM, 1/25,000th of the hard disk space and 1/300th of the speed of a Mac Pro. In addition, those programs worked, whereas the current versions of Word and Excel are riddled with errors.

The Parallels upgrade is not just a disaster. It is symptomatic of widespread utter incompetence. The people who designed and programmed it should be sacked and, if possible, sued for negligence. It is not that they did a poor job. It is that they are NOT trained and qualified programmers. They are brainless, useless nerds.

As a comparison. There is about 86 MB of code in the Paralells 4 package. There was 64KB of ROM and a few 100 KB on FLOPPY DISK for the entire Mac OS on the early Mac computers. The Mac OS was efficient and virtually faultless. The Parallels package is hopelessly inefficient and riddled with problems. Why? Because there is not one competent programmer in the Parallels organisation.

Anyway, I upgraded because I was told Parallels 4 is 50% faster than parallels 3. Although I haven't done any testing, I suspect it may, in fact, be a bit slower. It is probable that any speed improvement comes from using multiple processors and that the underlying code is actually slower. In which case there is simply no reason to upgrade.

Fortunately I did a full backup so my next task is to restore Parallels 3 and archive version 4 in case of the unlikely event that it is improved enough to reconsider it.

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We apologize for inconvenience, that all you meet with Parallels Desktop version 4.
    I would like to recommend some tips for optimizing performance

1. Set memory for Virtual Machine more than 1 GB
    2. Perform Mac and Windows side disk defragmentation http://www.xvsxp.com/system/system_tools_defrag.php
    3. Set Adjust memory limit from Auto to Manual at Parallels Desktop -Preferences-Memory, and set limit a bit more higher than VM memory
    4. Disable Themes in Windows XP serives.msc stop Themes service
    5. If you are running in Coherence, try to switch to Single Window, or lower Mac resolution
    6. Some antivirus software can load CPU when Heuristic Prediction is set, or Tamper protection (Symantec, MacAffey), adjust settings to risk you are supposed, high security settings is not always good idea, as it can also affect software running
    7. Run msconfig , and disable unneeded startup items
    See http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html
    8. Make sure that no VNC,or remote desktop connection is established to Mac, this can slowdown Parallels Desktop
    9. Optimize computer experience for best performance
    10. Make sure that at least 1.25 GB of Memory is free for Mac OS (it is Total Memory - Virtual Machine Memory)
    11. Make sure that at least 2 GB +Virtual Machine assigned memory *2 is available on Mac OS partition where VM is located

6. summerleas

summerleas Bit poster

John,

First, your reply is largely irrelevant as the main problem is the utterly crap upgrade process.

Second, most of you performance suggestions do not apply - either I have already done it or they are not relevant. The most interesting suggestion is "9. Optimize computer experience for best performance". I optimize by having a comfortable chair and a cup of coffee - is that what you mean? Maybe I should have a good book to read while I am waiting?

7. enkaytee

enkaytee Junior Member

think what john is referring to is the setting in Windows. Under XP it's found by right clicking 'My Computer', selecting 'Properties' from the context menu, then the 'Advanced' tab from the window. Click the 'Settings' button in the 'Performance' section, and select 'Adjust for best performance'...

8. fwolpers

fwolpers Bit poster

To all in this thread - I CAN'T AGREE MORE THAT THIS UPGRADE iS A REAL DISASTER!!!
    I have now spent more then 12 hours intermittantly over the last 2 days to get PD4 to work, upgrading from PD3 Built 5608.
    My biggest problem is, that I never managed to get the Windows Screen to SHOW UP - I'm only & allways getting a simple BLACK SCREEN. I can sss the usual Windows Start Screen at one stage, and then it gets & stays black for ever.
    I have recognised, that Windows - even though the screen is black - is still working in the background and is waiting for user input. I tried the CTRL-ALT-CMD-R key combination at various stages (still black screen), I tried "blind typing" various keys and funily enough managed to get to step 4 of the conversion process and even got the message, that the VM was converted successfully.
    Now I started PD4 again - and gues what - still a black screen.
    I have searched the entire forum, all help pages & trouble shooting guides (completely useless) - no response. Response form Parallesl Email Support (after 3 days) was - as expected - as well useless.
    I have paid 40$ for something to dump......
    Frank

9. STim

STim Bit poster

fwolpers,

Please send me your ticket ID as a private message.

10. denpashonen

denpashonen Member

I was a happy camper after successfully upgrading to PD4 on my second try + 4 hours of aggrevation. Two days later, utter disaster as I cannot boot up my Win XP due to VM's inability to connect to hdd image file.

11. fwolpers

fwolpers Bit poster

Where do you want me to send a private message ??? I have not submitted any ticket, I just send a normal email to Parallels Support and received attached answer.

It is completely useless, as it doesn't even consider my problem. It is just a standard message. All of your support answers assume, that the user can see the Windows Screen at one point in time. But what do I do, when it remains BLACK all the time ? Expecting the user to search a completely unstructured FORUM is a bit too much. I would really appreciate, if you would openly admit the TOO ERLY release of the software, go back to the workbench and ultimately release a software, that works. In the meantime, you shopuld be fair & smart enough to credit any penny to those users, who paid for a piece of pretty crappy software. This even exceeds the levels we are all used to from Microsoft.

I have given up on PD4 for the moment, as I do not have any more time to waste and I need a working system as of tomorrow, Monday morning, German time....what a disaster. I will change the Vm software as soon as I can.

A disappointed (soon EX-)user.

Attached Files:

12. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

John

Like.... are you serious with all that stuff? I mean no where in any of your lterature are these kinds of "System Requirements" mentioned for PD4 and I can't recalll after having PD3 for over 2 years now having to do any of this for PD3. Did PD3 run without the need for these requirements? Is PD4 designed to run sooooo.......much better only if you follow these requirements?

I will admit that I have cosmetic and some functionality issues with PD4 but I wouldn't say the performance is better or worse then PD3 at this point. At least I have not encountered any. I've run Video and Quick Books (not Quicken) which seem to be the biggest hogs I have and things are fine. But seriously, with all the stuff that on this forum that's wrong with PD4 (at least 3 things I have contributed) I don't think your suggestions (while they may indeed OPTIMIZE PD4's performance) is hardly what I think the consumer audience for PD4 wants to hear right now. It's almost like throwing us an anchor instead of a life jacket and we're drowning......

13. summerleas

summerleas Bit poster

If that is necessary on a 2.66GHz machine then PD4 must be the equivalent of Vista in terms of speed.

14. peterlemer

peterlemer Hunter

> I would suggest everyone to wait a little until the first update is out before jumping in

sorry, but when my VM tells me there is an update available, that IS the first update!

And mine stalled on downloading.

peter

15. peterlemer

peterlemer Hunter

> John@Parallels;132302]We apologize for inconvenience, that all you meet with Parallels Desktop version 4.
    > I would like to recommend some tips for optimizing performance

> 1. Set memory for Virtual Machine more than 1 GB

already set

> 2. Perform Mac and Windows side disk defragmentation
    > http://www.xvsxp.com/system/system_tools_defrag.php

the link provides no tool to defrag a mac. When you provide faulty information, your credibility may suffer.

> 3. Set Adjust memory limit from Auto to Manual at Parallels Desktop -Preferences-Memory, and set limit a bit more > higher than VM memory

done

> 4. Disable Themes in Windows XP serives.msc stop Themes service

I have no idea what you mean

> 5. If you are running in Coherence, try to switch to Single Window, or lower Mac resolution

I am always in single window

> 6. Some antivirus software can load CPU when Heuristic Prediction is set, or Tamper protection
    > (Symantec, MacAffey), adjust settings to risk you are supposed, high security settings is not always
    > good idea, as it can also affect software running

I only use Kaspersky.

> 7. Run msconfig , and disable unneeded startup items
    > See http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html

which of these should I disable (they're the only ones I have):
    ParallelsToolCentre
    SharedIntapp
    AVP
    jusched
    ctfmon
    msmsgs

> 8. Make sure that no VNC,or remote desktop connection is established to Mac, this can slowdown Parallels Desktop

I don't have such a connection. How does it cause an update download to stall?

> 9. Optimize computer experience for best performance

in english, please

> 10. Make sure that at least 1.25 GB of Memory is free for Mac OS (it is Total Memory - Virtual Machine Memory)

According to Activity Monitor I have 25 G Virtual Memory on my mac. Is that what you mean?

> 11. Make sure that at least 2 GB +Virtual Machine assigned memory *2 is available on Mac OS partition
    > where VM is located

According to Activity Monitor I have 25 G Virtual Memory on my mac. Is that what you mean?

I am now in the position of having to back up my entire drive every time I try to install the update, just in case the update stalls at a point where it corrupts Parallels 3 and I can't go to 4.

I tried again last night, after working through your checklist (above) and I seemed to get a full download, but then Parallels froze and I had to force quit. Thankfully V3 launched this morning and I was able to carry on working.

Mac Intel Pro
    OSX 10.4.11
    5G Ram

peter

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  16. peterlemer

peterlemer Hunter

You must have had a pre-pre-pre beta given that your post is dated 2006!

However, this is NOT a beta!

peter

17. MrLynn

MrLynn Member

I have exactly the same problem trying to upgrade my XP VM.

Have filed a report and requested a support ticket (#617745). I did manage to get a Win2K VM running (originally installed as a test back when I purchased PD3), after a frustrating time. But the XP VM is completely stalled, and that's what I use to access the office server over VPN. I did make a backup before upgrading, but the PD4 install said it was deleting PD3 from my Mac, so if I want to go back to that I'll have to reinstall it.

This is a complete drag, and something I just don't have time for.

Note to Parallels and Nova:

Installation of software should be idiot-proof! I admit to being an idiot, and not knowing all the ins and outs of the underlying Mac and Windoze technology. But Parallels is a consumer product, and an upgrade installation ought to—just work!

If Support can't get my XP VM to work, I may have to return PD4 (for a refund, right?) and try Fusion VMware.

/Mr Lynn

18. MrLynn

MrLynn Member

Got It to Work!

[Note: Also posted on this thread:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=132807#post132807

which consists of complaints about the same problem.]

OK, I got it to work. I deleted the XP VM that PD4 had messed up (if it did) from the Parallels Library folder where the .hdd lives, duplicated the VM that I had initially created as a backup (as Parallels suggested, which suggestion I thankfully took), changed the 'copy' name to match the original, put it in the Library folder, and started over.

Don't know if this will apply to anyone else, but when Parallels tells you the VM upgrade has to be 'manual' and you have to log into your VM, the first time I habitually logged in as a regular user. This time I logged in as an administrator.

Whether that made the difference, or something else, I don't know.

This kind of thing should be intuitive and straightforward, but it isn't.

Haven't heard from Support re the ticket I created, but hey—you can cancel it.

/Mr Lynn

19. Emerson

Emerson Bit poster

Totally Agree

I with the rest of you! I can't believe how bad this installation is!!

20. BeaverGeek

BeaverGeek Bit poster

I've been using PDfM since 2.5 and I love 3.0, it works great, and was very excited to upgrade to 4.0 for the new features. Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as everyone else. My main problem is the windows reactivation. My second problem is the sudden error during Step 2 where the install fails, and the VM is totally hosed and apparently not salvageable. I don't have the time or the patience to spend more than the 3 hours I've already spent trying to install, reinstall, etc.. PD4.0. I definitely don't know as much about this "stuff" as most the people on these forums probably do, so I downgraded back to 3.0 with my saved backup VM and I'm back to the way I was in less than 30 minutes. FW800 backup drives are amazing BTW. Anyhow, I'm really disappointed in this release; 2.5->3.0 was amazingly simple. Why is 4.0 so bad?

OK enough of my whining.

My main question is: when upgrading the WinXP SP3 VM from 3.0 to 4.0, if I haven't changed any of the VM's configuration, why does Windows XP SP3 think there has been a significant HW change and require me to reactivate? I have a legal copy of WinXP that I paid for myself, and I really do not want to re-activate it (I'm not an MSDN member with a large number of activations). Reactivating WinXP and Office 2007 should not be a requirement. Parallels team, is this expected? If so, it should be documented. If it's documented then I apologize because I missed it.

Thanks.