Unable to connect hard disk 1

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by whitedragon101, Nov 15, 2008.

1. whitedragon101

whitedragon101 Bit poster

I recently upgraded my parallels 3 trial to the parallels 4 trial to compare against Fusion. However when I first started the installation VMware fusion was running which is suspect may have effected the installation. Now when I attempt to start my bootcamp partition (XP SP3) in Parallels 4 it says:

"Unable to connect Hard Disk 1.

A file or device required for the operation of Hard Disk 1 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected."

I also noticed that the coherence mode is greyed out.

The bootcamp partition still starts in bootcamp and VMware Fusion.

Running: Late 2008 Macbook Pro 4gb RAM, 2.8ghz, 320gb 7200 rpm, OSX 10.5.5

2. whitedragon101

Ok have got Parallels 4 running by deleting the new parallels bootcamp file and forcing it to remake one but heres the thing(s):

The mouse has to be captured and released and does not move from OSX to windows transparently
    The coherence mode won't let me click the startmenu
    I can't run Command and conquer 3 without huge graphical defects even though it says it is supported

And thats just after 5 mins

So my question is when do you think they will fix Parallels 4 to be a usable product?

3. RichB

RichB Junior Member

I'm in a similar situation so what Parallels files can be deleted while in Boot Camp?

4. whitedragon101

Open parallels the at the top click file->open

New install Parallels 4
    there should be a file called my bootcamp.pvm delete that. Then Close it down and open again and it should have to rebuild its pvm file and hopefully work.

OR

Parallels 3 to 4
    If you had a previous version of parallels like I had I deleted the mybootcamp.pvm and then opened the old .pvs file in the backup folder.

If that doesn't work you could try deleting all the files in there and then Parallels should in theory have to rebuild them but haven't done it so not sure. I don't think it could hurt since Parallels should work from a fresh install. Therefore anything you delete in the parallels program folder should be recovered with a fresh install.

5. RichB

RichB Junior Member

OK, thanks. I have been basically doing the same thing but nothing seems to stick. I had evolved from earlier versions so renamed the Parallels folder to "Parallels OLD" and that was enough for it to have a fresh start. I created a new VM, waited for the tools to get installed and all the other drivers. Then after everything seemed OK with multiple reboots I tried booting into Boot Camp. That worked fine but broke Parallels! Another fresh VM brings it back but there's got to be a better way.

UPDATE so far all is working well...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  6. tyns

tyns Bit poster

To remedy my situation wiht this problem..
    I removed the bootcamp virtual machine file in the documents/parallels folder. Restarted Parallels.

I then had the issues with the mouse and coherency mode not working properly. It was also bringing up the hardware wizard not being able to find the drivers.

To remedy that.. I went to ADD/REMOVE programs and uninstalled the Parallels Tools.
    Reboot and let parallels re-detect and re-install the parallels tools.

everything is back up and working again as it should.. for now.

I think this version needed some fine tuning and testing before release.

7. akrantz

akrantz Bit poster

I am having this same erroe with P4.

""Unable to connect Hard Disk 1.

A file or device required for the operation of Hard Disk 1 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected."

It was working fine when I installed it. But upon reboot it's giving me this error.

8. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please navigate to Vm Window Configure - Hard Disk 1, and make screenshot post it here,
    also click ok, and try to start - check is it help
    note hard Disk 1 should point to name of real hard disk wher eVM is installed

I assume, that you are using build 3540

9. BigVirus

BigVirus Bit poster

i got the same problem.

i opened the VM Window Configure- Hard Disk 1, and found that a line under the HD: Bootcamp Disk configure incorrect

and, i changed the disk and then changed the disk back.

and click OK

the problem gone

10. PatrickH

PatrickH Bit poster

Make sure the VM name is the same as before

I got the same Unable to connect hard disk 1 error. Until I renamed my .pvm file same name as my 3.0 version. I had my 3.0 VM name as Microsoft Window Vista. The 4.0 name the new vm as Window Vista. So I try some people suggestion to rename my 4.0 vm to the same name as before. Now problem solve for me.

11. free2readme

free2readme Bit poster

I have the same problem. Does anyone know the solution to this problem in Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac on OS X Snow Leopard?