Keep Windows Icons in Dock Ver 4.0

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by kevinw, Nov 12, 2008.

1. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

I've tried this in coherence mode and this does not work. I only get "Open (application name)" dialog when I right click on the icon. No "Keep in Dock" option or any other?

2. Shauncie

Shauncie Bit poster

I have the same problem. I've tried running various Windows applications (Quicken 2008, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Word), but no icons appear in the main area of the dock. Coherence otherwise seems to work fine. When a Windows application is minimized, an icon naturally appears on the right side of the dock (or bottom part of the dock if your dock is on the left or right). I believe this is the icon that the previous poster is referring to - when you right click on this icon the only option is to restore (Open) the window, as you might expect.

But the "Coherence" icons are missing, and hence a user can't right-click on the icon to keep it in the dock for future use.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels Tools, twice, with no effect.

I upgraded to Parallels 4 over a Parallels 3 (5626) installation. I am not using Boot Camp. The Windows guest OS is XP Pro SP3 with the latest Windows updates. The installation is very plain as I generally only use it for Quicken.

Mac specs: Leopard 10.5.5, Intel iMac 20" Core Duo 2.0 GHz (Early 2006), 2GB RAM

3. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Hey! Parallels are you listening? Even your video with 4.0 shows this working?

4. biglar

biglar Pro

With VM machine off check: Virtual Machine-->Configure-->Coherence-->make sure "Show Windows System Tray Icons in Mac Menu bar" is checked.

It should work then.

5. Shauncie

Shauncie Bit poster

We are not having a problem with the *system tray* icons. It's an issue with the *dock* icons representing Windows applications.

(By the way, the box you mention is apparently checked by default, and indeed, the Windows system tray icons do appear in the OS X menu bar at the top of the screen.)

6. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Yes I checked this is set correctly (while the VM was off) and it is. I probably should clarify that indeed when I am in Coherence mode and I minimize a program there is an icon that shows up in the dock at the far right side but it appears to be just a black box with a Parallels tiny icon on it. Not available to any commands by right click as previously mentioned. I know in 3.0 you could actually get the desktop icon (i.e. the same icon that is on the windows desktop like Quicken etc. ) to tay in the dock. I can't figure out how to do this in 4.0

QUOTE=biglar;131744]With VM machine off check: Virtual Machine-->Configure-->Coherence-->make sure "Show Windows System Tray Icons in Mac Menu bar" is checked.

It should work then.[/QUOTE]

7. biglar

biglar Pro

Have you checked Configure-->Shared Applications-->Show in Dock. Set to Always or Coherence?

8. Shauncie

Shauncie Bit poster

Yep, you're right. You apparently need to enable the sharing of Windows applications to show/keep the icon in the dock.

Thanks your your help!

NOTE to the Parallels team: Please add some text to the Coherence settings dialog (and to the Help files) that you need to enable Windows application sharing to manage dock icons. I don't think it is in any way obvious that this must be the case. Thanks.

9. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

I did this and still no luck - and again clarification - when the Item is minimizedd in choerence it does show up in the dock on the right side as a minimized application but I can't right ckick and get a dialog that says "Keep in Dock" infact there is no disalog other then " Open xxx application" So I have share applications in coherence set to Always and I still get nothin.

10. Shauncie

Shauncie Bit poster

Let's see if I can post an image of my dock...

[​IMG]

This is an example with Quicken. On the right of the dock divider is the icon for the minimized Quicken application window. Right-clicking this icon shows no options other than to restore the window.

To the left of the dock's divider is the shared application icon (red box with Q inside, with Parallels logo in lower right-hand corner). If you right-click this icon, you'll see several options, including the one that let's you keep the icon in the dock. This is the icon that I could not see until after I activated the sharing of windows applications and then ran Quicken. The icon then showed up.

11. marcl

marcl Bit poster

no windows application icons in dock

Thanks for posting the picture of your Dock. I am not able to see the equivalent of your Quicken icon in Coherence even though I have Configure -> Shared Applications -> Show in Dock -> Always set

My guess is that I have a corrupted configuration file somewhere.

Thanks,
    Marc

12. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Same here followed all the same steps and nothing. No icon.

13. STim

STim Bit poster

Can someone having this issue please try the following:

1. Quit the application that doesn't have its icon shown in Dock.
    2. Browse to your VM location (most probably it's Documents->Parallels)
    3. Right-click the VM's bundle and select "Show Package Contents"
    4. Browse to Windows Applications.
    5. Delete the application that doesn't show in Dock.
    6. Relaunch it in Windows.

Will it show up?

14. marcl

marcl Bit poster

Deleting the application from within the Windows Applications Folder within the .pvm package didn't seem to help for me. My problem is specifically the application icon in the dock (if I minimize an application, I get the thumbnail on the right). Thanks, Marc

15. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Same here, no difference, wow a real live Parallels person too! Cool. Actually my PVM was in MaC HD/Users/My Name/Library/Parallels

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  16. mschool

mschool Member

Tim,

I work in Windows Mode, not Coherence. In Ver 4, the system tray appears below my Outlook window, but disappears when Word is launched. I followed your instructions and verified "Tray Icons in Menu Bar". Please advise.

Mac OS 10.5.5
    2.33 GHz Intel Core Duo
    2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Windows XP Pro
    No Boot Camp
    Upgraded from latest 3.0 Version
    P Tools Installed

17. STim

STim Bit poster

marcl, kevinw, mschool,

Thank you for this input.

Another thing that should make us progress in this issue investigation, please:

1. Close the application that doesn't have its icon in Dock, or which Dock icon doesn't have "Keep in dock" option.
    2. Launch it.
    3. Wait till it's launched in Windows.
    4. Go to Help->Report a problem, send a report and post here the report ID. Ideally, before sending the report, make sure that "Primary OS screenshot" is also selected.

It is important that the report is collected shortly after the app with faulty Dock icon is launched, so that the most recent log entries reflect the situation in question.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  18. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Stim

Done!

19. STim

STim Bit poster

kevinw,

I need an ID of the report. It's the only way I can understand the report is yours, not some other guy having some other problem :)

20. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Tim

ID # 12658