No physical network adapter for shared networking in parallels 4.0

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by eelco, Nov 15, 2008.

1. eelco

eelco Bit poster

Hi,

After I upgraded to Parallels 4.0 my shared network configuration stopped working. I already deleted all network adapters and reinstalled parallels but it hasn't solved my problem.

In the VM configuration pane I get the following message after selected shared networking:

When starting the VM I get the following message:

Also in the Network preferences of my Mac I do not see the shared networking adapter.

I can not find how to install the shared networking adapter. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Eelco

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Could you please go (from menu) to the Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> Networking and press the "Restore Defaults" button. After that all should work ok..

The issue should be fixed in the nearest hotfix

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  3. eelco

eelco Bit poster

Hi, thanks for your response.

I already tried what you suggested and what happened was that the only installed parallels adapter the "host-only" adapter when from red to green (connected). The shared networking adapter does not appear.

4. Peter Zschunke

Peter Zschunke Bit poster

eelco, I've run into the same problem. Yesterday everything was fine with Build 3522. Today - without any configuration change - the web icon (yes, it really looks nice) at the buttom of the machine has a red cross. "Restore Defaults" doesn't work. I've always getting the error message:

5. jlachoff

jlachoff Member

Same problem here

(Yes, I reported through "Report a Problem" in PD4)

I also can't get the reset network prefs to take- no network connectivity on my virtual drive-based PD VM.

I also now have no network on my boot camp VM, but that's the least of my problems there- I'm having the same problem as many people, as the BC hard disk is no longer recognized by PD4. (Yes, I have reviewed the KB and Forum threads regarding this).

All this was working fine for the first session- all the trouble (HD and Networking unavailable) began after returning to PD4 after my first native BC boot after installing Parallels tools... coincidence?

Parallels: I rely on your software at my job. I have irreversibly upgraded to 4.0. As of now I can only use windows in Boot Camp. (Assuming that still works). Please provide a solution. In the mean time, I will explore VMWare, just in case they're product is less buggy.

6. phlyersphan

phlyersphan Bit poster

I am having the same problem since upgrading to 4.0. The network adapter does not exist, and resetting defaults does not solve the problem.

I rebooted my Mac, and started Parallels. I reset the defaults, which caused the unconnected Parallels adapters in my Mac's network settings to switch from red to green, but still on the Windows side I cannot connect to any networks.

Parallels has been rendered useless to me, as I'm a web developer that uses Parallels to test sites under Windows.

Are there any new fixes for this problem?

/edit: I was able to get the network to work. After following the steps described above, I then went under Parallels - Devices - Network Adapter. "Disconnect" was toggled. I toggled "Shared," and that caused Windows (Vista) to start its network connection wizard. Upon completion, I am now able to access the internet.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  7. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

To resolve "The network adapter does not exist." error, please do "Restore Defaults",

To resolve "Failed to open the Parallels networking module.", please type in the terminal (Applications->Utilities->Terminal) command
    sudo /sbin/kextload /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext

8. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

eelco, could you please send a problem report and post me the number of sent report?

9. jlachoff

jlachoff Member

After reading through the KB article, I had already confirmed that all the extensions were running, but I just tried your suggestion- here's what terminal says in response:

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext is already loaded

10. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Could you please send a problem report too?

Do you see any error messages while turning on the VM?

11. jlachoff

jlachoff Member

Have already submitted problem reports early this morning for BOTH my problems:
    1. (12522) Boot Camp HD is not recognized. (Yes, I already deleted it from the config and re-added it);
    2. (12521 - I think {you guys don't email us back the numbers!}) Networking is not available at all.

12. jlachoff

jlachoff Member

Other stuff I've tried but that hasn't worked

I just wanted to add that I've tried a couple of other things:
    I deleted both of the Parallels network services from Mac OS > System Prefs > Network. My hope was that these would be re-created by Parallels when I reset defaults, but it didn't work, and now I have no Parallels network services at all in my Mac OS System Prefs, and can't figure out how to get them to come back.

I've tried resetting defaults in Parallels prefs, and have even tried re-installing Parallels 4.0 (thought maybe the installer script would create the networking services...)

Nothing seems to work. All "kext" extensions are running. I have NOT hacked at my PVS settings file.

13. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Yes, 12522 is yours report. Thank you for the report. It was very useful. I faced up such problem like in yours environment first time.

Reboot of host Mac should repair the problem. It would be useful also if you could sent another problem report after reboot of Mac.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  14. jlachoff

jlachoff Member

Rebooting didn't help

Thanks for taking a crack at a solution Elric, but that didn't work. I sent in a new report as you requested after rebooting, (#12724).

I've also run Disk Utility and repaired disk permissions, just on the odd chance that had anything to do with the problem. It didn't have any effect, though.

15. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I've created a support ticket with solution that should repair the problem. But it is rather difficult to apply. You may want to wait for the update of Parallels Desktop.

Please contact if you will not receive the mail with solution in fifteen minutes

16. FredJ

FredJ Bit poster

Elric, I have the exact same problem with my Parallels Desktop installation. Might I get a fix for this as well? Thx

17. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I have sent the private message. I afraid that fix is hard to apply, but all should work ok in the nearest hotfix of PD.

18. jlachoff

jlachoff Member

Any estimate on when we will see the hotfix?

19. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Sorry, I can't make such affirmation (production ethic...) but we expect it very soon.

20. Evengers

Evengers Bit poster

Adpaters but no resources

I seem to have a related problem ... everything worked find before the upgrade to 4.0 now the network adapters will not function.

after trying various steps mentioend above and repeated deinstallations/reinstallations hardware removal etc. the device manager under Vista shows 2 parallel adapters with yellow cautions and this message

"This device cannot find enough resources ... (Code 12) "