Unable to upgrade the virtual machine

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mbabco, Nov 14, 2008.

1. mbabco

mbabco Bit poster

Upgrading to 4.0, doing a archive & convert. I was told to complete manually and when trying to do so got the following error message: ""Unable to upgrade the virtual machine. An error occurred when upgrading the virtual machine. Follow this link to learn how to complete the upgrade process."

When I hit the OK button on the message, I'm kicked into a Windows Product Activation screen -- "Since Windows was first activated on this computer, the hardware on the computer has changed signicantly. Due to these changes, Windows must be reactivated within 3 days. Do you want to activate Windows now?" -- options are yes & no.

However, the mouse is frozen. Dead in the water.

What next?

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

3. Valiant

Valiant Bit poster

I'm also unable to upgrade the virtual machine.

I begin with step 1 of 4, which takes several minutes.
    Then I get a screen with the message: "You need to manually continue this upgrade process"
    I click "OK" and get the Windows XP startup screen.
    Then I go into a continuous loop:
    1. Windows XP startup screen
    2. New screen with notation: "autochk program not found. skipping autochk.
    3. New screen with notation:
    "STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
    The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a
    status of 0x000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).
    The system has been shut down.
    4. New screen with notation:
    Parallels (R) VGA-Compatible BIOS Version 3.0.2111.89721
    4.0.3522.205957 Sun, 09 Nov 2008 00:43:56
    Copyright 2008 Parallels, Inc. All Rights reserved.
    512 MB physical memory installed
    SCSI controller is not installed.
    5. New screen (all black) that shows a progress bar at the bottom.
    Repeat from 1.

I'm totally hung up. Would appreciate some advice. TIA.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please follow steps bellow
    1. http://kb.parallels.com/en/5735 up to step 8 (including)
    2. Make sure Boot Camp Windows is working
    3. Back to Mac Os.
    4. Remove My Boot Camp VM
    5. Start Parallels Desktop, it will create new VM

5. mbabco

mbabco Bit poster

Progress has been made, but . . . .

Well, when I hit the apple key, the upgrade process continued without me doing anything. Stopped again. I hit the apple key again, and the upgrade process actually completed.

Here's the but.

My mouse buttons only work intermittently. I'll click a button, it works fine (just now I clicked a button to re-activate my copies of windows). Now I go to click the red x to close it. Doesn't work. Now I go and do it again. It does work.

Every time after I do something with the buttons -- drag and drop in the recycle bin, click on a button, double click on an icon -- the buttons stop working, for awhile. Sometimes for a minute or two and several attempts to click on something, others after a relatively short time.

What now?

6. John@Parallels

Manually uninstall Parallels Tools from Add/remove Programs and Install back

7. mbabco

mbabco Bit poster

Mouse Seems to be Working Now

I had done a suspend. When I went back in to do the remove/re-install of Parallel Tools, the mouse seems to be working 100% of the time now. Thanks. I'll keep the add / remove in mind for later if it re-occurs. THanks for the quick response.

8. Valiant

Valiant Bit poster

Best I can figure, my attempt to install Parallels 4.0 has completely hosed Windows XP. I can't get Windows to open in either Parallels or Boot Camp; it goes through the unending sequence I described above in Parallels; and freezes at screen 2 (described above) in Boot Camp. So for the time being, I'm out of business.

This episode reminds me of all the problems that were reported when Parallels 3 was released. I think you guys need to improve your beta-test program.

9. Bob James

Bob James Junior Member

Installation of Version 4 upgrade failed at the very end of part 4

System: New 24" iMac , 4GB memory, 750GB hard drive, 1 TB Raid 1 external drive, and guest OS = Windows Vista Home Premium

1. Saved Version 3 virtual machine file
    2. installation of downloaded Version 4 upgrade failed at the very end of part 4
    3. Read and tried all of the FAQs and Troubleshooting tips.
    4. Virtual machine (Vista 32 Home Premium) boots into a small window (which cannot be re-sized) with Full Screen icon live (which does nothing), but no live concurrence icon. Also says in the border of the dialog box than "Parallels Tools are not installed"
    5. Tried to install Tools from menu but nothing happened. Then tried to install Tools from CD/DVD-ROM 1, but it ultimately fails with "Windows can't verify the publisher of the driver software" [see picture]. Note that prl-tools-win.iso is connected (see picture)

Do I start over by going back to Version 3? If so how do I do that?
    If I uninstall Parallels version 4 will I loose my saved version 3 VM file?

"Help! I've fallen and I can't get up"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  10. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Note: this is not an error from windows. This is a warning about installing drivers that Windows doesn't know. Please allow to procced with this for Parallels Drivers

11. Bob James

Bob James Junior Member

The same dialog box keeps coming back, otherwise nothing happens. If I click on "don't", it rolls back the installation and quits.

12. John@Parallels

Please click install

13. Bob James

Bob James Junior Member

Elric/John,

Your were right, of course: per your advice I decided to just keep clicking on "Install this driver anyway". I had to consent to six of them and "voila" : success!!!

Many thanks.

Perhaps the installation instructions should mention this (unless they already do somewhere that I didn't find).

Thanks again for your quick response: you can have the trouble desk mark my submission as "closed" :)