upgrade wizard completes but VM keeps reporting new hardware "standard PC"

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by colossus, Nov 16, 2008.

1. colossus

colossus Bit poster

First I took a back of my virtual machine and after installing Parallels version 4 and running the upgrade wizard on my XP Pro SP2 VM all appears to have gone ok until the VM is restarted after stage 4 of the upgrade wizard runs.

After logging into the VM I am informed there is new hardware of "Standard PC".
    A window appears telling me it has not passed windows logo testing to verify compatibility with Windows XP and gives buttons to either continue or stop the installation.
    I just select "stop" and all appears to be ok with the VM and Parallels 4 features appear to be all working, however if I shutdown the VM and restart it again the same new hardware of "standard PC" appears.
    This continually happens if I restart the VM.

I took a back up of the VM at this point and then restarted the VM again.
    This time when the new hardware appears and gives me the window telling me it ihas not passed windows logo testing to verify compatibility with Windows XP and gives buttons to either continue or stop the installation.
    I select continue. When it concludes I am asked to restart.

On restarting the VM, the VM never boots and all I gets is a blank screen.
    Now if I reset the VM, when it restarts I get a window letting me select the start up mode.
    When I select "safe mode with command Prompt" I can see that the VM hangs at the point that it is loading agp4440.sys

Activity monitor shows that prl_vm_ap is using aroiund 100% cpu

This has been reported as ticket #12064

My machine is a 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro 17" running 10.5.5
    4GB real memory

VM is XP Pro SP2 with a 24GB virtual disk and 512MB allocated as memory.

The VM was created under parallels 2.5 and has been successfully used under it and then 3.0.
    The latest 3.0 build in use prior to the 4.0 upgrade was 5608.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  2. mkstevo

mkstevo Member

"After logging into the VM I am informed there is new hardware of 'Standard PC'."

This was the same error I kept getting. Unfortunately as each time I booted my XP install it went through the 'Upgrade' procedure, taking 35+ minutes each time, I got cheesed off! I have gone back to V3 for the time being.

I never found the AGP4440.sys driver either.

If I didn't install the new hardware that was detected when Windows opened, I did find that my virtual XP installation worked perfectly.

One other thing I found (in temper...) was that if I launched Parallels, the 'upgrading your virtual PC' routine would start over and over, but... If while it showed the 'Completing Step 1 of 4' screen, I force quit Parallels, when I restarted Parallels next, it skipped the 'Upgrade' routine and booted directly into Windows. Not ideal, granted. But it saved me half an hour plus while the 'Upgrade' failed to complete each time.

3. colossus

colossus Bit poster

It appears I have managed to solve my problem by doing the following:

1) Restored VM backup of XP Pro SP2 created prior to installing Parallels version 4
    2) Ran the uninstall of version 4 from the version 4 .dmg disk image
    3) Reinstalled Parallels version 3 build 5608
    4) Started XP Pro SP2 VM
    5) Logged in as administrator and ran windows update to install SP3. Restarted VM to check SP3 installed ok.
    6) Gracefully shutdown XP Pro VM and quit Parallels version 3
    7) Created a new backup of this XP Pro SP3 VM
    8) Reinstalled Parallels version 4
    9) Started XP Pro SP3 VM and got Convert window. Selected Convert.
    10) Convert starts and after a while in stage 1 I get the message to go to manual mode. Login as administrator. Upgrade wizard starts automatically. Upgrade goes through to step 4 successfully and informs me the upgrade was successful.
    11) Login to XP and everything seems fine. So far no problems.

Note my XP Pro version is a corporate version and requires no activation.

Under device manager I notice between this and the version with the problem I described above the following differences:

a) PC shows as ACPI Uniprocessor instead of Standard PC
    b) there is a Processors item

4. esmondw

esmondw Bit poster

I have this exact issue. Upgraded an XP SP3 VM from PD3 to PD4 - now everytime I start the VM I get the prompt for new hardware 'Standard PC'. If I allow installation; the next time the VM tries to boot it hangs on Mup.sys. If I do not allow 'Standard PC' to install everything works fine.

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please try to reinstall Service Pack 3, note if it is Boot Camp - then from Boot Camp

6. esmondw

esmondw Bit poster

Thanks, that did the trick.

* Upgraded PD3 XP SP3 to PD4.
    * Ignored 'install new hardware' for 'Standard PC'
    * Uninstalled SP3
    * Restarted VM
    * Installed SP3
    * Everything looks like it's working fine; Coherence, Full screen etc and no repeated prompts for 'Standard PC'.