Connection Failed

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by sognix, Jul 2, 2007.

1. sognix

sognix Junior Member

When starting Parallels on my Core Duo iMac, I get the following:

Connection Failed: The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and try again.

About 5 times, and sometimes puts the CPU in a racing condition where eventually the entire OS hangs forcing a reboot.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  2. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

You should clarify your problem.

Are you getting this when you run the Parallels installer?

Or have you successfully intalled Parallels and this is happening when you run the Parallels.app it creates?

Also good to provide info like what version of OS X, which version of Parallels (2 or 3), etc.

Not that I have a clue about why this is happening .. but someone may with enough info.

Phil

3. swivet

swivet Member

Guessing that this would be happening when you start the virtual machine (not when the Parallels Desktop app itself launches inside Mac OS).

Then Windows may be trying to tell you that it can't connect to a network service it's been told to go get whenever it starts up. It *will* keep trying and trying for quite a while if allowed.

Do you have any network shares mapped to E:, F:, G:-type drive letter names? Any scripts, apps or other Startup Items that would call for a network service that isn't there? Is it an issue with whether your network cable is plugged in or not?

Have a look in Start Menu -> Programs -> Startup for programs that might be asking for something they can't get. More on that here:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

If necessary to get a look at what's going on, try starting Windows in Safe Mode (start Windows, *immediately* click in the black OS window, hold F8 or Function+F8 depending on your Mac setup, choose Safe Boot from the text menu).

Any help?
    /swv

4. sognix

sognix Junior Member

I'm using the latest 3.0,
    It's whenever it tries to open or create a new virtual machine when it gives me those errors. I never used a network share on it.

I went as far as reinstalling Mac OS X, and installing a fresh copy of Parallels, still same problem! Even creating a brand new VM does it!

The weird thing is that I don't get that error on my MacBook.
    Same generation Macs (Core Duos - not Core2)

5. sognix

sognix Junior Member

Help!!! I can't run Prallels!!!

Still same problem on iMac - but won't run at all anymore!
    Now it gives me the following error:

Connection Failed
    Uknown user, incorrect password, or login is
    disabled. Please retype the name and password or contact the server's administrator.

um... WHAT?!?!
    Same racing condition - have to force quit it to be able to use my iMac again.

HELP!

6. sognix

sognix Junior Member

the video!

this is the problem I'm having, notice the dialog box comes up before parallels is running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgYGXXbT_Z4

it usually causes the CPU to race and even lock my iMac forcing a reboot.

-Sergio

7. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I see you are using Ubuntu
    could that hdd be corrupt?

Hugh W

8. sognix

sognix Junior Member

no
    in that video I was creating a brand new VM - that dialog box comes up even as Parallels is launching before any VM loads.

9. sognix

sognix Junior Member

I noticed that Parallels mounts a drive to the VM's hard drive to my MacBook's desktop when I'm running a VM.
    Could this be what Parallels is trying to do as it launches on my iMac???
    Get Info says its a "Generic MacFUSE File System (MacFUSE)",
    Why would it work on my MacBook but fail on the iMac?
    Any ideas on how to fix it?

10. sognix

sognix Junior Member

hello? anyone? I've emailed support as well and no one is helping me!
    is anyone there?
    hello?

*looks at vmware*

11. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Go to preferences on your Imac.

Look at network and look at networkstatus.

What do you see?

Is Parallels host-guest and parallels nat connected?

12. sognix

sognix Junior Member

No, they both say "Cable is connected, but your computer does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the internet".

why would that be? how can I fix it?

13. sognix

sognix Junior Member

over a month and a half since I first contacted support, and posted here,
    still no resolution.

I got tired of waiting and took advantage of VMWare's pre-order discount offer.

I would like to eventually get Parallels to work since I have a key for it... but... way to drop the ball, Parallels!

14. sognix

sognix Junior Member

I'm really amazed and completely appalled by the support and response time to fix this problem.

Plesk is completely unusable on my machine, and has been for the past 2 months now!

The worst part is that I trusted Parallels, and even recommended it to everyone I know... I know Parallels made money through me from my referrals.

Sure, I got my key via the beta testing program, but as I said, I recommended it to everyone I knew, and I know quite a few people purchased it because of my recommendation.

But does anyone at Parallels care? Nope. They got the money - why bother fixing it, right?

15. AtariAge

AtariAge Junior Member

I am now getting this error on a newer iMac. I have successfully used this VM before, but today when I started Parallels I started getting this "Connection failed" dialog box. Eventually Parallels starts, but when I try to start the VM I get a "Cannot connect to the Hypervisor" message. I erased the Parallels preferences and restarted, but that didn't help at all. I'm going to install Parallels in another directory and see if that helps, but I doubt it will.

Disappointing that there appears to be no resolution to this. I ran the VMWare demo for a month and it works great, with better USB support, so looks like I may be purchasing that.

..Al

16. sognix

sognix Junior Member

yeah, no one ever got back to me about this either,
    so I purchased VMWare...

Works great! Better support! Haven't had a single problem! Haven't looked back since.

Have been switching my clients from Parallels to VMWare - and recomending VMWare to new clients...

Yeah, you hear me Parallels? By ignoring me you are losing hundreds if not thousands of dollars!

Continue to ignore us and I'm sure you will eventually lose out to your competitors.

17. AtariAge

AtariAge Junior Member

After my last post I went and purchased VMWare also as I'm just fed up with issues I've had with Parallels and their very hit and miss support. Besides the issue described in this post, I've had continuous issues with USB devices over the life of Parallels. I have a particular USB device that would work fine for months and then one day Parallels could no longer see it. The only way to fix it has to been to create a new VM. This didn't happen just once, but repeatedly over time.

I downloaded the demo of VMWare and it works great with the USB device I was having problems with, as well as another that Parallels wouldn't recognize at all.

..Al

18. richdean

richdean Bit poster

Same problem since upgrading to 4.0

I am having this same problem since upgrading to 4.0 running Parallels and WinXP off of my BootCamp partiton.

This error happens everytime I open a Windows app for the first time.

Rich

19. gma

gma Bit poster

This happens to me too since upgrade to Parallels Destop 4.0. It did not happen before upgrading. There is no corresponding log entry to this issue and there is also no network traffic, when looking with wireshark on the host what the virtual machine tries to do.

The issure happens when launching an application it is impossible to start the report problem to send the screen shot, while this modal alert is displayed. In my case the host is a Mac mini with newest Leopard installed. The problem might have to do with first time launching an application (iexplorer.exe, shutdown.exe or what ever.) first time after installation of the Parallels tools.

20. gma

gma Bit poster

Connection Failed / Verbindung fehlgeschlagen

I've reported this as bug with ID 28750: AThe problem occurs after the Parallels Tools have been updated for each application like iexploerer.exe, shutdown.exe etc. when the application is launched the first time after updating the tools. It does not depend on how often the VM has been shut down and restarted between update of the tools and first time started the application after the update. The problem occurs only onec for each application.

The attachment is a screenshot of the message as it appears on a German host

Attached Files: