Installed Windows XP, Fedora, and Solaris

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jnmowery, Apr 8, 2006.

1. jnmowery

jnmowery Bit poster

Well I have managed to get XP, Fedora, and Solaris installed and running. Solaris was the trickiest of the bunch. However, had I used it more (last time I used a Sun was almost 10 years ago), I might have had an easier time.

I can't figure out how to get Solaris to connect to the internet. It also apparently needs more disk space. Is the utility to resize the disk a separate product?

Fedora will only connect via a hardwired internet connection.

XP works with no problems - it will connect via wireless or wired.

I DO hope that USB support is coming soon and the ability to resize the windows.

It would be nice if the user guide was more explicit in what to set the various options when installing the OS'. I understand this is a Beta though and the documentation maybemore robust with the final product :)

Great so far :)

2. trancepriest

trancepriest Bit poster

I'm still having a problem with Solaris on a MacBook Pro... mainly I can't get a mouse pointer. What problems did you run into? I've tried almost every option in KDMConfig and still no mouse.

3. brettw

brettw Member

jnmowery - did you get X to run in Solaris ? Could you please post details about your X setup ?

Also I did not find the Realtek driver setup for the network in the OS X beta so I downloaded the .TGZ file for Linux and blew it open to get the driver and script (its on an iso you have to burn to CD).

4. jnmowery

jnmowery Bit poster

I had to choose xorg instead of xsun. When using KDMConfig during the install and chosing the xsun, I chose the VESA driver with SVGA and the default for the display. I chose 15" monitor. I chose the USB mouse. This resulted in a HUGE screen coming up that was not resizeable and a mouse that didn't work. Chosing any other mouse option made the setup crash.

So, I went digging and decided to try with xorg option. I left all options at default during the install. This allowed the setup to progress to installing the other 3 disk images. Upon completion of that, and reboot, it booted to the command line. I had to use xorgconfig - xorgcfg didn't work. ( /usr/X11/bin/xorgconfig) I selected the PS2 mouse. I chose the VESA adaptor and went with the 800x600 w/16 bit depth. I selected 50-90Hz for the monitor frequency range.

Booted up fine after that and mouse works. I'll have to try the Realtek driver to see if that gets the networking going.

5. trancepriest

trancepriest Bit poster

^^^ Hey thanks a million for your helpful response... I'll try that now and see if I can get it working.

--- Andrae.