Bug POST 12967 cupsd maxing out cpu usage

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by dtidmore, Nov 17, 2008.

1. dtidmore

dtidmore Member

I have sent you a bug report #12967. This is a new problem that I believe started with the RTM version (3522) as I don't recall this situation on the earlier beta version and I KNOW it did not exist on prior releases. I noticed the problem initially due to performance seriously degrading. I quickly realized that I was running both cores hard and for no apparent reason. I checked out the process space to see what was running and found the socket process running under cupsd (UNIX print spooler) was running about 100-105%. I first killed PD4 and the problem remained. I then rebooted OS-X and the socket running under cupsd started behaving normal (ie 0-1%). I then started PD4 and within a few seconds, the socket under cupsd was back at 100%. As I reported in my bug report, within seconds of PD4 launch, cupsd shows over 500,000 UNIX system calls. Something is very wrong here. HELP!

BTW, I have verified that there is NOTHING in the print buffer.

david

2. dtidmore

dtidmore Member

I downloaded the REAL release version, even though it shows to be the same build (ie I paid for the upgrade), installed it and rebooted everything. Now the problem with cupsd is gone. I have also verified that printing is working properly.

david