How do I restore?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Howard Brazee, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Howard Brazee

Howard Brazee Hunter

How do I restore to the backups made when I went to 4.0? I'm desperate, I need Windows badly, and haven't found instructions for restoring. (4.0 doesn't work)

2. Howard Brazee

Howard Brazee Hunter

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

3. Howard Brazee

Howard Brazee Hunter

My installation file has an uninstall feature, but I don't want to get rid of Parallels altogether. I just want my old version to use until the new one is ready.

4. Tom Frederick

Tom Frederick Bit poster

Here is the reply I got that worked for me. Thankfully there are forum members who know more that those who should know and can't get it right.
    rom what I read and from my personal experience you have three options

1 - downgrade to Parallels Desktop 3. You will first need to uninstall PD4. Open downloaded PD4 dmg, find Uninstall application there and perform the uninstall. Then download and install PD3: http://download.parallels.com/v3/en/...608-Mac-en.dmg. After install try booting your Boot Camp as PD3 VM, it worked for some of us.

2 - Do repair install as written in KB. Repair install does not delete data, just recovers some critical Windows files. But it's rather complicated way.

3 - Do nothing and wait for Parallels to come up with solution. They are working on it.

Option 1 worked for me. After that I backed all my documents at Windows and tried option 2, it also worked. Now I'm on v4 with working Boot Camp. Whew.

5. raleedy

raleedy Member

Just for the record, the link provided above does not work as such. I can only get to the page for 4.0.

6. Howard Brazee

Howard Brazee Hunter

Will an uninstall and install of version 3 work with the backups that were made when I installed 4.0? Will I need to move them somewhere (currently they are on my desktop).

I restored Parallels from Time Machine, but it didn't work. Bad driver.

Can I use my 4.0 serial number with 3.0? Or will I have to find my old account number somewhere?

7. Tom Frederick

Tom Frederick Bit poster

I was able to right click and get an open with version 3. This upgrade software is crap!

8. Tom Frederick

Tom Frederick Bit poster

Try open with version 3 if you can. My desktop Parallels suddenly disappeared but found an open with version 3 in My Boot Camp.pvs. I hope it continues to work since support has been useless and the problems of last week still remain if you call in. I keep getting emails asking if problems reported on my tickets have been resolved, what a joke...

They give a number and still can't get response after waiting on hold again. I have never experienced anything like this.

If you have this software on your credit card I would protest and buy Fusion that at least is supported.

Tom

9. Howard Brazee

Howard Brazee Hunter

I got Parallels 3 back. Restoring the application from Time Machine didn't work - some driver trouble. I finally found an e-mail telling how to upgrade to 3 (it was my wife's not mine). So I uninstalled 4.0 and then downloaded & ran 3. I don't know whether my earlier restore from Time Machine made any difference.

I also restored my documents\parallels directory, but since I exclude the VM from Time Machine, I copied the backed up files that I created with my 4.0 install over. My Time Machine drive has been purging the last week with all of these VM backups. Then I was able to run Windows.

I didn't pay for the ability to download 4.0 as often as I want, so I guess I need to keep my .dmg file someplace safe. That's a pain. I wonder how I will install it when they fix it - whether I will be able to load a new 4.0 dmg or not. With the number of people who cannot install 4.0 at all, I imagine they will need to make it installable.

I also have no idea whether "Time Machine Integration" will allow me to keep my VM backed up without filling my Time Machine drive.

My wife was going to buy 4.0 while it is cheap, but decided to wait until it works for me.