not honest actually!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by peppemat, Nov 17, 2008.

1. peppemat

peppemat Bit poster

Hi,
    I've just purchased a Parallels desktop 4, thinking that I could use my old windows softwares on my Mac. Well, the surprise is that after a lot of attempts to install Windows XP as the guest OS. I get to find the FAQs related to theese kind of problems and so I' ve discovered that I couldn't install my Windows XP because it was an OEM, This means that after having purchased Parallels at 80 $, now I'd have to buy windows XP at ca 150 € to use Parallels!!! Well this kind of information about OS uncompatibility are actually hidden to people interested in Parallels purchasing, since that I can't know about guest OS installation problems if I've not activated the trial software and tis means "purchased the software ". I think this is a serious honesty issue by Parallels Technology Network. Beside that, anyone knows how I can solve this problem without another expensive purchase of windows OS?
    Thanks a lot to everyone for attention and, hopefully, help.

2. jfritz_drfritz

jfritz_drfritz Junior Member

Sorry you had to find out the hard way that an oem copy of windows is not transferrable. I myself was not aware that there would be an installation issue, just figured the activation would prove to be impossible. Nevertheless, you have already saved a couple hundred bucks by buying the oem version to use on your pc, I guess you have to look at it like you leased a car, when you are done with it, you have nothing. Sorry doesn't seem to me that this issue belongs to parallels

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

OEM license is a limitation imposed by Microsoft, not Parallels.

4. peppemat

peppemat Bit poster

I'm saying that in the homepage of Parallels desktop 4, this kind of information is missed instead of being indicated in the system requirements and this couldn't be for a mistake or nothing else, since that the greatest part of customers have an OEM, but a 'foxy' commercial attitude that not belongs to serious companies, but probably Parallels is not one of theese. Viva Parallels and Microsoft, great incomes for both of 'em....from unadvised customers!
    Thanks anyway for your kind reply

5. karticus

karticus Junior Member

6. peppemat

peppemat Bit poster

ouch! It look to be real useful for my problem, but, ouch again, I don't speak German :(
    Thank you a lot really, now I see a light...

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Sorry, but I have no empathy for your shortsightedness (specially when it's based on scorn for others that try to help you) the fact that you don't know what an Windows OEM license is and what it allows is either Microsoft's fault or yours, I don't see how Parallels can have any responsibility in this.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  8. peppemat

peppemat Bit poster

Scorn for who? There's a misunderstanding here: I thank you all for your help, really, I'm really thankful for all of your replies and appreciate greatly all of this. Why you say this? I have problem for a lack of communication from the parallels desktop homepage, I'm happy to purchase parallels if I purchase a working software, not as much happy if, since that I was misinformed from the retailer homepage, I buy a useless - only in my case- thing.
    Its responsibility is to not specificate in a clear way that you can't use your Windows anyway on your Mac, but there are limitations even if theese are from Ms policy, but theese make your purchase of Parallels useless if you haven't in mind a greater cost due to the purchase of a new Os... If I sell something, I'd like to inform its compatibilty very neatly, if I don't, I'm not honest or ignorant, in the first case I know that the most of the people, not pros, has an OEM version of windows. If you tell that your software is compatible with Windows XP Home edition (that is most of all an OEM version), you cannot avoid to specify this lack of compatibility. If you are ignorant you are not PTN....probably this, that sounds so clear to me, is only my personal opinion....

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Purchasing Parallels is like purchasing a new computer with no OS installed, I don't see how the maker of the computer would have to mention you can't install an OEM license from another machine, it's the other machine's maker responsibility to mention their license is not transferable, OEM licenses are supposed to come in computers with pre-installed Windows. But if you buy a Windows OEM license without a computer that means you can only use it on one computer and not transfer it, that computer can be your mac and you can run Parallels on it.

10. beagley

beagley Member

It may help if you read over the Wikipedia entry on OEM.

Basically, that Windows disk was distributed for use with a specific computer. That's all it is licensed for. Dell or HP or whomever cut a deal with Microsoft, and the result of that deal is the disk you are holding in your hands.

Your problem has nothing to do with Parallels or their marketing or how they describe their product. If you look at the original flyer that came with your OEM disk, it probably has a bunch of "May not be used with any computer other than the one that this was purchased with!" type warnings on it. (But with better grammar than I use, hopefully.)

However, as a previous commenter pointed out, there are ways to hack/slipstream that OEM disk into something that would probably work with Parallels. That's shady, of course, but probably doable.

Best wishes,
    d

11. peppemat

peppemat Bit poster

thanks a lot to all of you, really. I hope to figure out the way to use Parallels.