the linux installation runs really slow on top of os x! any advise anyone?!?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by phet0r, Jun 16, 2006.

1. phet0r

phet0r Bit poster

ok heres what i've been dealing with. i'm installing fedora core linux on my intel mac mini 1.5ghz 60gb HD with 2gb of ram(PLENTY of ram, so i thought since parallels desktop only recommends 1gb) and i actually made it through the 4cd fedora core 5 installation and it asked me to reboot and then after osx finished bootin up i opened parallels again to load up FC5 and it couldn't detect a boot loader so i put cd1 back in to "create a new boot loader" and it started doing its thing and started the install process and it then quickly gave me an error box and told me that "there were no kernel packages installed" so it wouldn't make any changes and i was thinking that it amazed me that it went through the whole installation process(4cds) when there were zero kernel packages installed seeing as how thats a crucial for linux and that it would auto install a kernel during installation and what not so i shrugged it off sorta in frustration knowing that i had no other choice but to re-install all over again so the second time around i noticed that the installation was just WAY to slow and i only had 24mb free of real memory out of my 2gb(wtf?) thats insane and then i noticed that it was using 5gb of virtual memory. that CAN'T be right. has anyone had any problem with linux installing super slow such as this? I apologize for such a long post but i've researched the hell out of this problem for hours now apon smoke breaks after smoke breaks untill i just discovered these forums. thanks alot in advance. :)

2. pdkline

pdkline Junior Member

Put your mac-mini in sleep mode from the Apple Menu, wake it up. the start parallels desktop.

This is due to an Apple Firmware bug. Usually that method above fixes the mac mini, sometimes ou have to do it more than once :/ So far only, mac mini's have this problem.

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team