Virtual machine crashes after relocating to Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Dustin Wenz, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Dustin Wenz

Dustin Wenz Bit poster

I'm trying to move a Windows XP virtual machine from a MacBook Pro to a Mac Mini. Both machines are running Parallels Desktop build 1848.

I copied the whole directory containing the PVS and HDD files over to the Mini. When the virtual machine starts, Windows seems to boot normally. After I am presented with the XP desktop, Windows crashes with the blue memory dump screen, followed by Windows restarting itself. It is locked in an endless cycle of crashing/restarting.

The VM works flawlessly on the MacBook Pro, and any new VMs I create on the Mini work just fine. I just can't seem to move a VM from the MacBook to the Mini without it breaking Windows. Both systems are Core Duos; the only difference is that the Mini has half the RAM that the Macbook has (512MB vs 1GB), and that VT-x doesn't seem to work on the Mini.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Please try to create new VM configuration (*.pvs) and attach old virtual disk to it (*.hdd). It should solve your problem.

PS: Relocation of HDD is always OK, but relocation of PVS could be with issues because of different paths and devices names. Anyway re-creating PVS is always helps.

3. Dustin Wenz

Dustin Wenz Bit poster

I already tried that before I posted. Creating a new PVS with the same HDD also didn't work.

...but I know exactly what the problem is! I disabled VT-x on the MacBook Pro and the VM crashes just like it did on the Mini. So apparently, installing Windows with VT-x enabled and then later disabling it doesn't work. This must be a bug in Parallels (which wouldn't be a problem, if not for Apple's "bug" where VT-x is disabled on the Mini).

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Your can fix Mac Mini disabled VT-x problem by applying latest updates from Apple - http://forum.parallels.com/post12704-35.html .

It is still left the problem why it is not work for you in software virtualization mode...

5. Dustin Wenz

Dustin Wenz Bit poster

The firmware update 1.0.1 seems to have fixed the problem on the Mini. It's a little confusing at first, because the Mac actually has to be powered off for several seconds *after* the firmware update has been applied in order for it to take effect (this behavior was detailed in another thread relating to VT-x).

There still remains an issue with Parallels not simulating the non-VT-x mode correctly, but since all Macs can support it, there shouldn't be much of a problem for most people.

6. pdkline

pdkline Junior Member

For the mac, this is not a problem, only people who are going to have problems are those who are pirating MacOS X. I think this is a mute point. All intel mac's have VT.

Paul :)