What does Adaptive Hypervisor option in v 4.0 actually do?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bi11, Nov 11, 2008.

1. bi11

bi11 Hunter

What does the Adaptive Hypervisor check box actually do for v 4.0 Parallels. By the way, great job development did on this release, I can run it along side virtualbox and vmware now and no one crashes.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Enable the Adaptive Hypervisor option to automatically allocate the host computer CPU resources between the virtual machine and Mac OS X applications depending on what application you are working with at the moment. If you are working in a virtual machine application, the CPU resources will be allocated to the virtual machine, if you switch to the host OS application - the CPU resources are relocated to Mac OS X, and vice versa.

3. macavenger

macavenger Bit poster

Which sort of makes me wonder: why would one NOT want this option enabled? Why make it an option at all, rather than just a feature?

4. bi11

bi11 Hunter

Well, I for one do not want the feature enabled by default. I really do not know what goes on behind the scenes to make this work. Messing around with scheduling priorities is not something I want some application doing if this is how it is achieved. If it isn't using scheduling or renice, then I want to know more.

5. RedHerring

RedHerring Junior Member

I turned it off because I want my windows os to actually do work while in the background, and with the AHV on, it lollygags around when you aren't watching it. I could see it as being useful under some circumstances, however.

6. mschool

mschool Member

I have tried fixed memory and variable memory. The guest OS is more robust under fixed memory. Under variable, there is a drag on speed. WRT HyperVisor, I have tried it "on" and "off" and have not seen a difference. YMMV

7. Mary

Mary Bit poster