Should I upgrade or not

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by dkaleky, Nov 12, 2008.

1. dkaleky

dkaleky Member

After reading this forum is there anyone that doesn't have problems??

I hate to waste time and install 4 with the problems I see, then have to reinstall 3.

2. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

Well, to be fair, it is a known fact that mostly people that have problems post on support forums ;). Working in the software industry myself I know this kind of stuff.

But in all honesty. I would suggest to wait for the next patch before I upgrade.

3. dkaleky

dkaleky Member

Yes-- but some people browse eventhough they installed successfully- and these are the folks I would like to hear from!

4. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Member

Go for it, I had the kind of upgrade that test your nerves ("Continue manually" (read-Troubleshooting-ignore all restarting request from inside the VM), stuck in "Step 3 of 4" forever) and afterwards watching things run so slow you feel like pulling your hair and kicking yourself for not waiting longer to upgrade.

But amidst all this V4 behaved like a trooper after "Force Quit" several time, and every time I restarted it kept plugging away until finished the upgrading.

But this is what I recommend you do BEFORE starting:
    ==================================
    1- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AN EXTERNAL BACKUP!!!!!!!!!
    ==================================
    2- THIS IS THE 2ND MOST IMPORTANT: make sure you have not upgraded lately to a new computer or hard drive, because this will bring the stupid: "... hardware has changed and XP needs activation", if you get caught in this, keep trying every time upgrade stops, "Force Quit" and restart until finished (no damage caused) WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE, YOU HAVE THE BACKUP, DON'T YOU?

3- Make sure you have your VM in "Autologon" (no password needed to log in)
    (on Win XP, go to Start--->Run and type: "control passwords2" and uncheck something that says " Password needed to login" or something like it (top-left) and when asked for Name and password enter YOURS not "Administrator")

======================================================================

WHEN UPGRADE IS COMPLETED:

Things may run slow and you may get "… not enough Virtual memory" and/or freezing of screen; things running SLOW, feel free to kill Parallels as needed and restart, and the first chance you have to open "Karsperky Internet Protection" (something like that) make sure you stop it from scanning, in my case I completely got rid of it.

Then you will be glad you upgraded!

Cheers,
    Emilio

5. dkaleky

dkaleky Member

btw its ----- control userpasswords2

6. robhedin

robhedin Bit poster

Well, I upgraded 3 VMs yesterday; two went off without a hitch, the third threw up a dialog about problems with the upgrade, but windows was running and complaining about new hardware-- after manually canceling those dialogs the parallels upgrade took off and did it's thing.

Other than that the only issue I had was that the upgrade seemed to change the setting on the task bar so that I had to go back in and make it "on top of" all other windows. Minor but annoying.

I don't like the new "buttons on the top" layout for the VM and wished they'd stuck with them on the side as I've got much more horizontal space than vertical, but I can deal with that. I'm also not particularly liking that it throws system tray icons into my mac's menu bar. Need to figure out how to turn that off.

rob.

7. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

I edited them to be text only. Which actually looks nice and gives more space.

8. dkaleky

dkaleky Member

2 questions--

1. whats it mean that "Faster virtualization engine than ever before" I never had speed problems. Does yours work quicker ??

2. does SNAP TO for mouse work in this new version. b/c i didnt see it in the new specs. It will piss alot of people off if it doesnt work b/c they have promised this for EVER

9. Waterdweller

Waterdweller Bit poster

Should you upgrade? Well I guess it depends on how much of a martyr you are...
    I've been a Parallels fan...but the problems I STILL have resolving the Tool installation...is puttting me over the edge. Mouse and video are problematic and MULTIPLE installs of the tools continue to fail...
    My recommendation, make sure you have NOTHING else to do for several hours or maybe days when you take the plunge!

10. Waterdweller

Waterdweller Bit poster

Finally

After my 3rd UNINSTALL of tools and RE-INSTALL of Parallels Tools I've got a normal mouse again!
    Still working on virtual memory paging issues... but I've made BABY STEPS at least to being able to use my Windows OS again