eComStation 2.0 RC4 in 2.5/3.0

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by ScottishCaptain, Feb 14, 2008.

1. ScottishCaptain

ScottishCaptain Bit poster

Greetings to all.

I've been trying to install eComStation 2.0/RC4 in Parallels for some time now.

OS/2 Warp 4.52 (Client) installs fine. That works for me. However, eComStation- begins to install, and then dies every single time at exactly 2:38 (min/sec) into the install at "Updating Resources (base system)".

I cannot move the mouse cursor and the VM seems to have hanged.

I disabled VT-X acceleration in both versions of Parallels (2.5 and 3.0), since eCS would crash Parallels otherwise. This allows me to get into the installer, but, as above- it just crashes at 2:38 into the install at the exact same spot every time.

I know some people are running eCS inside Parallels, and I'd love to give it a go- primarily so I can move my Warp work onto my laptop (Macbook Pro). Is there anything I'm missing here?

The system I'm currently running Parallels on is a Mac Pro (4x2.66ghz), running 10.5.2.

Cheerio.
    -SC

2. Joel Seiferas

Joel Seiferas Bit poster

I haven't tried any eCS 2.0 RC, but I have successfully installed 1.2R
    in Parallels 3.0. Other than finding a suitable NIC driver, I don't
    remember using any special tricks beyond your VT-X one.

Please realize, however, that, even if you finally succeed, it will be
    hard to move any data from eCS to elsewhere. Parallels does not support
    shared folders for eCS, and the support people do not seem to be giving
    high priority to the acknowledged problem of enabling USB access to
    memory sticks. My only success has been via ftp or ftp-pm from eCS.

3. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

before the installation, please, in the configuration, try to disable every point that you won't need during the installation - USB controller, Sound, Floppy, CD-ROM - and try to install the OS again. You will be able to add all those elements again later.

4. webman

webman Junior Member

I tried this and it did not work. Has anyone tried the newest RC? Does it still have the same problem?

5. T1nyh

T1nyh Bit poster

I've been unable to get either 1.2 or 2.0RC1, RC2, RC3, RC4 to install under parallels desktop. Same error as the first poster. Anyone have any other hints or tricks they used to get ECS installed?

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Hm, actually we did test them, right know I do not have ecs to test, I will contact QA team in Monday to check they lab research tests

7. webman

webman Junior Member

Was anything found?

8. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Yes,
    Ecomstation 2.0 requires ACPI. We haven't ACPI for eComstation in PD 3.0. And we don't officially support eComstation 2.0
    Try to install it as Vista, but without USB devices

9. Scrutch2001

Scrutch2001 Junior Member

I can confirm that eCS 2.0 will run in Parallels 3.0 on the Mac. John is correct: You have to create the virtual machine in Windows, and then copy the virtual hard drive to the Mac.

Steve

10. Scrutch2001

Scrutch2001 Junior Member

Let me amend what I posted earlier... I upgraded to Parallels 4.0, and now eCS 2.0 RC5 installed correctly. I tried converting an existing Virtual Machine, which did not work. The OS froze when loading os2lvm.dmd during the boot process. However, I went back and did a clean installation on a fresh hard disk, and eCS 2.0 installed correctly and runs just fine.

11. Cinity

Cinity Bit poster

no VT-X for Atom N270 which i have here.. however Z530&newer intel cpus have it.

Hi,
    what is the latest version of Parallels which doesn't requires hardware virtualization support and does indeed allows t start early/current RCs of eCS 2.0?

I had used to successfully run 1.2 in Parallels 2.2 about a year ago, and now there's a need to run 2.0 on same system in vitro, (and ).

12. MrDon

MrDon Bit poster

I found all of the release candidates to be quite flakey on standalone hardware. The silver release was the first good one. I have just finished installing GA in Parallels 6 and it seems pretty good so far - actually better than the install i did in a standalone machine.

Don