HELP!!!! No Windows Control Panels in PD4?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by LinkRS, Nov 11, 2008.

1. rblommers

rblommers Bit poster

I'm also using avira...

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Hello All,

So far we failed to reproduce this issue in our lab. If someone who experience this issue is able to provide us a remote access to affected VM - please write me private message and I will contact you ASAP. Thank you in advance.

3. lior60

lior60 Bit poster

I will be happy to provide remote access

Email me, as I cannot access my control panel either (nor can I print via PD4 access to Boot Camp).

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Thank you very much - we got remote access and understood the issue. Hotfix update will be available soon. Remote access no longer needed.

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Hello All,

The fix for this issue is incorporated in Parallels Desktop 4 hotfix update:
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31764

It will work nicely for all new Vista Boot Camp users, but it will not repair already affected Vista Boot Camp partitions. We are trying to implement special recovery procedure/tool for such users. If your Vista Boot Camp partition is affected I recommend you following course of action:

* Repair Vista installation using Vista setup disk and then use Parallels Desktop 4 Build 3540
    * Wait for Parallels coming with recovery procedure/tool

I am greatly apologize for this bug in our final release, we will do our best to fix all the consequences.

6. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Are you saying that only newly created Boot Camp partitions will benefit from this fix and that the original version of 4.0 damaged the Boot Camp partition insofar as it can be used with a Parallels virtual machine? Or are you saying that existing virtual machines using Boot Camp will have to be recreated from scratch?

7. rblommers

rblommers Bit poster

I installed the update.. and tried to repair vista:

Well can you please tell me how I repair vista??!
    I tried vista repair "Automatic boot" repair... This doesn't work...
    I tried running sfc /scannow on my native bootcamp.. No result...
    Can I run sfc /scannow in the VM!?!?

What are the steps to repair my system?
    Is it possible to remove all parallels information from my bootcamp partition
    and make a new Virtual machine?!?

8. jedavis1

jedavis1 Junior Member

I found that if I uninstall Parallels tools 4 and then uninstall PD4, then reinstall PD3, that I have all functionality back in Vista. I am downloading the update now and will let everyone know if it is fixed or not.

edit::::::::

Well that didn't work, what ever Parallels did, it is permanent. Even though Vista works fine with PD 3, with the new PD4, it still doesn't work after update...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  9. jedavis1

jedavis1 Junior Member

Can you explain a little more which TYPE of repair you mean? There are several different types of repairs that can be done with the Vista boot DVD.

10. uotony

uotony Member

Hi Andrew,

No dice with the hot-fix in Windows Server 2008: Still cannot get to Control Panel. OS works fine from Boot Camp!

Feel free to email me next week, and I'll allow a remote session, if that will help.

Thanks in advance!

11. jedavis1

jedavis1 Junior Member

Thanks alot for the hot fix... Because I did a repair install, now I have a f*cked up Bootcamp in PD4 and now my bootcamp partition is hosed too.

12. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

13. LinkRS

LinkRS Member

Control Panel and Activation Back, but.......

I installed the hot fix, but as others have mentioned this did not fix the problem. So, I nuked my Boot Camp partition, and spent all day re-building it. I took the opportunity to upgrade to 64-bit Vista, as PD is supposed to support it now. Well, the first time the Boot Camp partition booted within Parallels, tools started to install, but about half way through the process crashed and failed. So, it uninstalled and rebooted (automatically). The second attempt at installing tools also failed, and rebooted. Then, I tried a third time, and it worked. So, now I am running Vista x64 in a VM, but every few minutes, the entire system freezes, both the Mac and the VM. This is occurring as I am attempting to download a 740 MB ISO file from within the VM, this freezing is corrupting the file. I have 4 GBs of RAM in my MacBook Pro, and give 2 GBs to the VM. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Rich S.

Update: The freezing has lasted as long as 5 minutes, no beach ball, just a no response. This is very annoying.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  14. John@Parallels

Are you using build 3540?

15. LinkRS

LinkRS Member

Hello, yes build 3540. It has gotten worse. It completely locked up the Mac, and I am unable to get chkdsk to run in Vista any longer to check it, as it was still "on" when it crashed.

16. John@Parallels

Windows repair should be performed from Boot Camp, please refer to article I posted earlier

17. John@Parallels

18. ajscorpio

ajscorpio Bit poster

I am experiencing two problems with PD4 that have been mentioned by others in this thread. The problems are as follows. I have Vista Ultimate installed on a Boot Camp partition. After upgrading to PD4 I discovered that I could not access Vista's Control Panel while using the virtual machine (except in a very limited and unsatisfactory fashion via Windows Explorer). Also, I found that I could no longer print from the virtual machine to my USB printer.

Apart from these two problems, PD4 seems to work fine on my computer (a 2.33GHz Intel 17" MacBook Pro running OS 10.5.5) and my Boot Camp installation seems to be unaffected by the upgrade from PD3 to PD4 (Vista's Control Panel works perfectly when I boot into Boot Camp as opposed to accessing it via PD4).

As per the instructions provided by John (message #32 above) I attempted to repair my Vista installation. When I selected "Startup Repair" (number 17 in the instructions at http://forum.parallels.com/index.php), Vista said that it could not detect any errors.

Has anyone else had the same experience with the Vista installation repair utility and then successfully upgraded to build 3540?

19. LinkRS

LinkRS Member

Hi John,

I am completely lost at this point. PD 4 has now cost me two Vista re-installs, and in fact just caused a hard lock up of the Mac OS, which resulted in hard drive errors requiring an erase and restore of OS X. I am not sure where to go from here. I would appreciate any help here.

Rich S.

20. uotony

uotony Member

Build 3540 did not help (win 2k8, Boot Camp partition)

Hello Parallels,

More of a reminder then anything else!

Using Windows 2008 Server (Win2K8) in a Boot Camp partition, using Parallels 4.0.3540 (November 21, 2008). Followed the instructions to "rebuild" the system under Boot Camp had no effect.

Symptoms:
    Trying to access "Control Panel" has the window display briefly (no contents) then disappear. Cannot "activate" Windows in Parallels.

Notables:
    In Parallels, the "Software Licensing" service fails to start. Trying to start that service manually results in "Error 0xc004d103" from Windows. "Software Licensing" starts fine in Boot Camp.

Notables:
    I was able to activate this VM in Parallels 3.

Other than these problems, Win2K8 works fine under Parallels. Most everything else is an improvement over Parallels 3.

Please feel free to contact me if you need to remote into my session.

Thanks in advance!