Cannot get Parallels 4.0 to see my Blu-Ray drive.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by squirrelman, Nov 12, 2008.

1. squirrelman

squirrelman Bit poster

I downloaded the trial of parallels 4.0 and got it all set up, but there is one big problem which is keeping me from being able to use it. It will not see my Lite-On Blu-Ray reader. OSX sees it. Actually booting into windows sees it. Try as I might I cannot get Parallels to see it. Any ideas anyone?

2. mmika

mmika Pro

Please, send a Problem Report to Parallels.

3. Deere4840

Deere4840 Junior Member

I returned my LG BE06LU11 Blu-Ray burner (at a cost of $55.00 restocking fee) because neither Parallels 3 or 4 would allow it to work in Windows XP via USB. So $55 to return plus $50+ for the rocky upgrade to Parallels 4 = $100+ down the tubes.

4. mmika

mmika Pro

You should connect your DVD drive as OS X DVD drive to Parallels VM , not as USB device.
    USB devices may not work. It's pity.

5. Deere4840

Deere4840 Junior Member

Thank you for your attention in this thread. (Just making sure you realize I'm not talking about a DVD drive inasmuch as this is a Blu-Ray burner).

Can you please give the specifics how to connect the Blu-Ray burner as an OS X device and put it through to the Parallels VM? I think I have tried everything. This gives me hope.

FWIW - I brought in another LG burner just to see if I had a defective unit. This one also works fine on a Windows machine (Win XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 2) on a Dell Precision PWS390. It freezes up in Parallels on Win XP Home.

6. mmika

mmika Pro

Hi Deere4840.
    There is shouldn't be any difference to Parallels desktop between DVD an BD burners.
    Please do following:
    1. Go to Virtual Machine configuration editor and find CD/DVD drive, go to its preferences window. It it doesn't exist into configuration press "+" button and add CD/DVD drive. Select physical device if possible. If this menu item is grayed or your BD burner is not listed there, please choose menu item called "Report a problem" and write its number here.
    If you can see your external BD burner in configuration editor make sure you have selected check boxes "Connected" and "enabled". Approve changes and close editor window.
    2 Start your virtual machine with your BD connected to VM.
    Boot windows and try to use it. If it isn't possible, please submit a problem report and write number here.
    I believe we can make it work :)

7. Deere4840

Deere4840 Junior Member

I had already done all of that. Yes, it sees the BD recorder but it still freezes up until I deactivate the BD burner by clicking the little CD icon at the bottom right of the Parallels screen and selecting my Mac's SuperDrive as the CD. I configured it as IDE and not SCSI, and the Location is selected IDE 1:1. So long as this thing is connected in Parallels the disc doesn't even spin up. Blue light flashes a few times and nothing else. I have tried DVD's and Blu-Rays and nothing works. Clicking "My Computer" freezes up and it allocates the drive to E: Also, in the task bar it says found new hardware and lists the device found as HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE06LU11. Then after waiting for a while it says Found New Hardware CD Drive.

Clicking Device Manager in Windows Control Panel lists this as ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CDROM DEVICE

I will try using SCSI as ID 0 as the connector now - maybe that will work... No. Found hardware but said the SCSI driver was from Windows 95 or something crazy like that. Some INF file is wrong.

I'll send a report tonight hopefully.

8. mmika

mmika Pro

That sounds good that windows recognizes it as physical device.
    But: What is ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CDROM DEVICE? Do you have CloneDVD installed?
    It is software emulated virtual dvd drive. Try to uninstall it. So, if you can see your drive into device manager, what Disk Management tool (you can find it in Computer Management window) is showing about BD drive?

9. Deere4840

Deere4840 Junior Member

I didn't have Clone DVD installed but it was a similar program for Cloning. It was from SlySoft. I uninstalled it and Parallels didn't see the drive any more. However, this morning I went to the USB devices again and tried activating from there. Sure enough it seems to be working. It recognizes both DVD and Blu-Rays. Looks like it's working now. Haven't burned a disc yet but Cyberlink HiDef Suite acknowledges the drive is there. Whoo hoo!!! Thanks for your time and suggestions. Looks like we made it!! I'll report back when I've succecssfully burned a Blu-Ray.