XP installation took 5 hours and counting, is this normal?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Parallels User, Jun 16, 2006.

1. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

2. DrFix

DrFix Junior Member

I remember when I used to use Virtual PC that they always wagged a finger when you used too much memory. Don't know if the same problems occur using Parallels but due to the nature of Windows and how it manages its page file I'd actually reduce the memory. As an example: I'm presently using a MacBook Pro 2.13ghz with 2gb of ram, 7200rpm drive and only using 378mb to run XP Pro. It loads a saved state within 7 seconds and saves it back in about 4 to 5 seconds. A complete normal shutdown of the VM takes about 12 seconds while a cold start about 12 to 15. Those are respectable numbers to say the least. For installation purposes I can't recall it taking anywhere as long as it has for you so I'd give the memory a tweak down.

3. mutrata

mutrata Bit poster

This is not normal.
    My installation of XP at a MB 2GHZ, 2GB lastet about an hour and that was it.
    Best regards,
    Matthias

4. ciprol

ciprol Junior Member

Don't use your Mac when you are installing Windows, or it'll screw up. Delete the VM files and start all over again.

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

S.G.D.,

It seems your memory configuration is incorrect. What is your recommended memory value in Configuration Editor->Memory tab? It should be >= than VM memory (1G in your case as I understand).

Try to configure less memory for VM - 512M for example.