Coherence became incoherent in v 4.0

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mrspeakers, Nov 19, 2008.

1. mrspeakers

mrspeakers Member

I have a 4.0 "from scratch" install that was created using RC1, if I recall.

I have a problem with Coherence, it won't turn on.

It is selected in the configuration pane. It HAD been working but stopped. I reinstalled tools, no luck. I uninstalled an reinstalled parallels. No luck. Ideas?

2. STim

STim Bit poster

Are other tools working? Like can you copy-paste text from Win to Mac, or will mouse move outside the Parallels Desktop window without the need to uncapture?

3. mrspeakers

mrspeakers Member

copy paste works, so does the mouse.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Could you please in Windows perform following
    Start run -cmd
    net start and post output here

5. mrspeakers

mrspeakers Member

Attached the capture of the cmd window

Attached Files:

6. mschool

mschool Member

If I leave my VM running in Coherence mode overnight, and wake it up from sleep the next day, Parallels is nowhere to be found on my Mac desktop. I need to go to my Mac's dock, select the Parallels icon (sw still running) just to get the Parallels's menu list to appear. Then I have to switch to Windows mode, to get the VM to reappear. Then switch to Coherence mode.

7. mrspeakers

mrspeakers Member

John, any feedback on this after the png was posted?

8. STim

STim Bit poster

mrspeakers,

Looks like the Coherence service is not started in your guest. Please, run the following command in Windows:

Code:
    sc start "Parallels Coherence Service"

9. mrspeakers

mrspeakers Member

Will try. Does this make it permanent, or is this a 1x test?

Did not start, came back with this error message:

SC StartService Failed 1053:

The Service did not respond to start or control command in a timely fashion.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  10. STim

STim Bit poster

It should fix the current issue, but understanding why the service became stopped will take a little longer. Right now we need to understand if the service will start fine, or there will be additional.

11. mrspeakers

mrspeakers Member

The service won't start.

However, I checked and saw the new build for download. For the record, installing the new build did correct the problem, and coherence now runs.

Thanks for your help! Now if I can only fix Outlook so attachments will launch the office apps (yes, Open With are set to Mac Apps, and they launch from Explorer, but launching from email literally nothing happens. They launch to Windows Office, though, when that is the default.)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  12. richfbrown

richfbrown Member

Coherence in 4.0

I just installed 4.0 and Coherence mode does not function. I tried running the command referenced above (sc start "Parallels Coherence Service"). This results in a message that the service is already running. How can I get Coherence mode to function? I am using the 3540.209168 build

13. abordercollie

abordercollie Bit poster

Coherence will not function for me either. Copy and paste does.

I tried restarting the service for Coherence only. It restarts and stays started, but still no coherence.

Any help you would offer would be greatly appreciated.

14. Forgiven

Forgiven Member

is Full screen mode working? Do you have any Anivirus or Firewall applications installed on VM? If yes then try to disable them and reinstall Parallels Tools.

15. abordercollie

abordercollie Bit poster

Yes full screen mode is working. I just discovered in addition to coherence modality may not be working either. Modality makes the window smaller, but not transparent or an overlay; the window just spins and becomes smaller. I wish coherence fixed first though and only offer this incase it helps to fix coherence.

No anitvirus or firewall applications are installed.

I will try reinstalling again anyway.

Please let me know if there are any other way to diagnose the issues?

16. davidwilkie

davidwilkie Bit poster

No Coherenece for me either

Coherence mode does not work for me. Clicking the "Coherence" icon in upper right or using the drop down View > Coherence do nothing. When I go back to View, "Coherence" is not selected. I am missing ver 3.0.

Any help greatly appreciated and please be specific as you can as I do not know the workings of Parallels itself. Thank you!

17. abordercollie

abordercollie Bit poster

Convergence still does not work after doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of P4

18. MakcyD

MakcyD Member

Make sure your Operating System type is set to Windows XP or Vista.
    If nothing helps, please create a ticket in our queue.

19. abordercollie

abordercollie Bit poster

The OS is set to Windows XP. Now searching for link to create a ticket.

20. abordercollie

abordercollie Bit poster

Found the service support link for my account. Ticket submitted. I hope this is not too long.