bluescreen error while starting vm (Win XP)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Dinky, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Dinky

Dinky Bit poster

First of all,

I'm using the german versions of PD and Windows XP.

I upgraded PD from 3.0 to 4.0. While upgrading my virtual machine (Win XP 32) PD stopped while processing step 2.

Now I'm in a loop when starting the machine, I always receive a blue screen error referring that the bios is not ACPI compatible.

I'm running PD on a MacPro 2,66 first generation.

Is there already a fix for this problem?

Attached Files:

2. STim

STim Bit poster

No, the fix for STOP A5 is not yet available. We are working hard on the issue.

Please check your private messages in a minute.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  3. Dinky

Dinky Bit poster

Thanx for the very fast reply, good to know that a fix is underway!

4. schmith

schmith Bit poster

hallo, I have the same problem, what can I do?

5. billearl

billearl Member

I have the same problem too. Please send me a private message if you have anything you can add. Thanks.

6. Helmut

Helmut Bit poster

Same is true for me, the virtual machine cycles through the bluescreen and reboot screen. OS is XP Prof. Another virtual XP Prof. machine upgraded to 4.0 without problems.

7. matt_d

matt_d Bit poster

And for me as well, same issue.

8. ssevennm

ssevennm Bit poster

The obligatory me too.

9. jprasuhn

jprasuhn Bit poster

I have the same problem, but with the English version PD4 with German version of WinXP SP3.
    After first run of PD 4-upgrade the process hangs in phase 2 without any messages.
    As next I have tried the upgrade with my WinXP Prof.-backup without any antivirus-tool and without installed Parallels-Tools from PD 3. Upgrade process hangs again in phase 2.
    As next I have manually converted my PD3-HDD-file with Parallels Converter. Works fine.
    With CPU system-flag = "vm.compat_level=2" I opened than the converted HDD-file and start the VM. Works fine (I have canceled all of the install-messages). Than I have installed the Parallels-Tools. During the install-phase Win reboots and the bluescreen appears.
    Conclusion: The reason for the bluescreen should be found inside the Parallel Tools of PD4.

Regards
    Juergen

10. billearl

billearl Member

The latest version, Parallels Desktop 4.0 Build 3540, has cured the STOP A5 error and allowed me to finally upgrade. Not everything is perfect (e.g. Win XP failure to time sync with the Mac), but generally very good.

Thanks to Parallels for a fast recovery after a premature release.

11. theand

theand Bit poster

Woah! Where did you get this build from???

Mine is still broken and at version 4.0.3522, PD says it is up to date!

Tell more of your secret versions!

12. STim

STim Bit poster

13. theand

theand Bit poster

^^^ Cheers, I will have a play with it

14. theand

theand Bit poster

Installed 4.0.3540 and still no luck :(

I still get an 0B4 BSOD and then Windows XP tries to boot again. It's slightly different now in that PD doesn't then start converting the VM again, the cycle stays in windows trying to boot, blue screen, boot, blue screen.

I'm gutted! I'd thought all my problems would disappear.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  15. STim

STim Bit poster

theand,

We need a backup of your VM in order to investigate the issue. It seems rather rare, and does not reproduce in-house.
    Please check your private messages.

16. biglar

biglar Pro

Have you checked Configure-->Services-->Synchronize time with host computer to make sure that is checked and time to resync is entered?

17. JoOppen

JoOppen Bit poster

Interesting: whenever I start one of the three of my potentially corrupted VMs (for some unknown reason there is now a third one; however, none apparently being PD 3.0 compatible :-( I can choose whether to start normally, with the latest configuration kown to have worked (letzte als funktionierend bekannte Version) or in one of three secured modes (abgesicherter Modus).

When I choose to launch "normal Windows version" I receive BSOD A5

When I choose to launch "latest configuration known to have worked" I receive BSOD 7B

Maybe this helps fixing the problem.

JoOppen

My configuration:

MacBook Pro 2,16 GHz Core 2 Duo
    2GB RAM, 120 GB HD
    MacOS 10.4.11 German
    PD 4.0 build 3540
    no BootCamp
    Windows XP Professional SP? German, converted with PD 4.0 build 3522 using backup; The backup apparently was corrupted during a second attempt to convert to PD 4.0

18. billearl

billearl Member

Thanks, biglar. Yes, I have checked, and it is set correctly. This only affects XP (two VM's); Vista time sync works okay.

19. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Did you change disk connection from IDE to SCSI?

20. JoOppen

JoOppen Bit poster

John:

I did not change disk connection - at least not intentionally. All I did was trying to start the VM after the black screen appeared by chosing "latest version known to work" instead of "normal version" (I did not try the save modes). The first would return BSoD 7B, the latter BSoD A5.

However, my problems appear to be solved know - keep fingers crossed. See my posts in thread http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31764 The little tool "prl_fixme" found under http://kb.parallels.com/en/5774 apparently fixed my A5 issue.

Today, I encountered some network adapter problems that might give me some headache once. I had to manually assign my IP address to the Windows LAN adapter in order to regain access to our office LAN. That returned some potential conflict with a realtek network adapter that previously (under PD 3.0) took care on my office network access. However, the realtek network adapter was not retrievable so I accepted the potential conflict - and have none so far. This piece of information might be helpfull withrespect to thread "No physical network adapter for shared networking in parallels 4.0"

I am posting this using PD 4.0

JoOppen