Upgraded to 4.0 - No Problems At All !

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by syntrak, Nov 11, 2008.

1. billc80015

billc80015 Member

and Syntrak ... Yes at least we agree on one thing ... Yes, I really want Parallels to be as easy to install as Windows Messenger. Parallels is a consumer targeted product (It's not SAP or any other ERP or CRM enterprise product). And as I said that has nothing to do with my technical capabilities. And as for Parallels on Windows ... Just ask them which OS is the bread and butter .... how many people run Parallels because they want Linux as a guest OS .. very few ... might not jive well ... but its a fact ....

2. edblanton

edblanton Junior Member

Another no prob

Just upgraded from Parallels 3/5626 to 4.0 with zero glitches. Granted, I'm running a pretty vanilla XP VM, but everything from internet connections, VPN connections and basic programs appear to be running fine. I'm no Pollyanna with upgrades and something could still creep up on me, but, so far, so good.

3. syntrak

syntrak Member

bill - you have some good points and there seems to be a lot of people on here with issues. But then again, these forums are usually for people with issues !

4. billc80015

billc80015 Member

Syntrak,

Just reviewing my posts, and definitely sorry for any sarcasm on my part ... I was just really outraged because of this P4 ... Being a techie I just never really thought I could passionately hate any software company but in Parallels I witnessed my primary software company with such great injustice and worse I had my development VM horsed .. so I couldn't really get any work done for more than 48 hours ... Well after trying to call them (of course having paid $30 for the call .. couldn't get anyone on the calls ... just hours of onhold messages ...) Finally gave up .. went to a little company called VMWare .. downloaded free trial of Fusion ... installed it ... pointed it at my non-working Parallels VM ... No problem it imported and made a copy .. with 45 mins it said import successful ... pushed the start VM button and voila .. just like with "windows messenger install" ... it just worked .... Amazing that Parallels cannot read an image it created ... yet VMWare can just import the same image ... so having wasted more than 48 hours and $110 ... VMWare got everything working for me within 1 hour and for $0 .. I am still on the trial version .. but will definitely pay for full license tomorrow ... So good news is I'll have lots of work to catch up with tomorrow since I have my dev VM back .. and I probably won't spend as much time in these forums challenging anyone who has great things to say about "great Parallels" ... But honestly, I see your opinions ... and yep if works for you ... its great and i see why you sing the praises ... Just like I am now singing the praises for VMWare ... I can relate to your chearleading for Parallels ... All the best ... and again sorry for any earlier sarcasm ...

5. syntrak

syntrak Member

If only MS Excel for Mac supported Macros we would never need Parallels !!!

6. Dust

Dust Bit poster

I just upgraded from v3 to v4. I converted my VM Windows XP SP3 with no problems. However, from reading the forum posts with all the problems, I was a bit nervous and made three backup copies of my VM on three different disks, just to make sure I was covered. Everything is working great so far. :)

7. ScottinMA

ScottinMA Member

Not so lucky

I've tried to install over 4 times without success. I found my original 3.0 disk and can get back to work today. Is there a possibility that my MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz is the problem? Have other MacBook Pros installed 4 successfully?

Scott

8. Frederic Bronner

Frederic Bronner Member

Yeap,

Mine is a 17 inch 2.5 and it worked great.

9. Frederic Bronner

Frederic Bronner Member

Happy for you Bill,

I personnaly still run VMWare as some of my developement environments are on a VMWare machine. And I have a VMWare NetWare (yes, i used to develop for those).

Parallel does not support NetWare, so I still need VMWare. So I do run both. I find that parallel is better for windows and linux. But VMware is better for the rest. But that's for me.

10. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

11. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

I have upgraded a MacPro and a MacBook Pro to P 4.0. Had the same issues in both. The upgrade process for the VM would stall whenever a login was required. No way around that since I'm on a domain on both machines. Went ok, just took way longer than it should. Also I had to re-Activate XP on both machines. Even had to re-Activate Outlook 2007 on one after re-Activating XP. I did get a couple "can't find x" or "can't connect to x" error, but just clicked ok and they haven't come back. As reported above, the Parallels Deskop CPU usage is down, but now there is a nice little process called prl_vm_app that is up around 12-15% with a couple of apps loaded, but not doing anything. Goes up over 100% when really working hard.

12. geordi59

geordi59 Bit poster

To those that upgraded with no issues, how much faster is PD4 than PD3?

13. summitscout

summitscout Hunter

14. billc80015

billc80015 Member

Frederic,

Thanks ... Yes, getting rid of Parallels was the best thing ever, no more time spent wasted watching the forums hoping for a miracle fix ... now just processing to get my $110 refund ...

Regards

BillC

15. teknics

teknics Junior Member

figured i'd add to the list of people without install/upgrade problems 3.0->4.0 went smoothly

kevin.

16. solus

solus Member

Yeah, because that's the only reason why anyone would ever want or need to run another operating system.

It seems like from your first post in this thread, you keep attempting to put the blame on the users of Parallels without question. Well, I personally have been operating various computers, OSs, and applications for over 23 years, and I know how to RTFM. Regardless, there is definitely something wrong with PD4.

My system with 6 GB RAM and 2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xenon CPUs (8 cores) begins to crawl the moment I launch PD4 and start my Boot Camp partition of WinXP SP3. The CPUs are bouncing between 80% and 100%, and WinXP takes at least twice as long to boot using PD4 than it did with PD3. Windows skip around the screen when dragged, and it take 10 seconds or so for the Start Menu to come up when I click on it.

Simply repeating that you had no problems with your installation doesn't help anyone. As for backing up your VM, the conversion process clearly states that you cannot backup Boot Camp VMs.

Personally, I prefer to use OS X for daily computing. Unfortunately, there is no decent way to develop XNA, .NET or Direct X applications outside of Windows, and half of the tools I need for work don't exist on OS X. You can't even find a better diff/comparison tool than Beyond Compare, and that's Windows and Linux only. Even the Office:Mac apps are far inferior to their Windows counterparts. Excel for Mac crawls with some of the 10k+ cell spreadsheets I've worked with, yet Excel (Win) runs those just fine even when WinXP is visualized using PD3. And Entourage's support of Exchange is a joke compared to Outlook. It's sad really. Maybe some day, Microsoft will put some real effort into their Mac products.

All I can suggest to those that need to operate Windows XP on their Macs, you may want to hold off until a patch (or two) is released before making the plunge.

17. teknics

teknics Junior Member

so far for me pd4 is far superior to 3, a lot more customizable, some nice new touches, and a lot mroe clean overall. no copy-paste problems or anything. havent tested the one problem i had with 3.0 on 4.0 yet but i'll do that later this week (usb to serial adapte ris at my house)

everything in pd4 seems to load up and get going quicker, resuming a suspended OS is a LOT faster as is suspending it. coherence mode seems a lot smoother too.

kevin.

18. teknics

teknics Junior Member

well finally tested my usb-to-serial adapter, pd4 at least recognizes it. which is a huge jump as on my new macbook pro pd3 wouldnt even see it, but on my macbook orig model it saw it with no problems (win xp VM)

later this week ill plug it into the car's computer and see if it actually works, but so far things are looking good.

kevin.

19. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Could you please let me know usb-serial adapter model?