USB Device Disappears From List?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by teknics, Oct 21, 2008.

1. teknics

teknics Junior Member

Alright,

I've been running a 10.4.11 original Macbook Core Duo with the latest Parallels 3.0 build 5608.

I have a dynex usb-to-serial adapter that I use to connect to my car tuning software in the computer.

On my Macbook as soon as I go into the USB List and choose "Usb - Serial Controller D" i get the new hardware detected tone from win xp sp2 (my guest os) and it's recognized and listed on the Device Manager as "Prolific USB to Serial (COM1)". It is listed as a port.

That works perfectly and has never given me problems.

I just bought the brand new macbook pro (2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 10.5.5 Leopard) that came out last week. I switched all the info from my macbook to my new pro. I fire up parallels everything works fine except Windows won't recognize the USB. So I figure maybe the driver's got erased, installed drivers but kept getting warnings about them not being signed (even if i copied them from my macbok which says theyre signed). So i decided to just to choose it form the menu. Go to Devices > USB and choose my usb adapter, wait......, nope windows doesnt signal the add new hardware nor does it make any sound to recognize I plugged an adapter in. So i go to check the devices menu again and bam now the adapter isn't even there, reboot the xp and it's back but it does the same thing again if i try to use it.

Is this a leopard problem? OSX recognizes the adapter, it shows up in the system profiler and everything.

Also on a side note, i tried uninstalling all the USB devices in device manager the way it's been described on here previously, and no luck there either. This is confusing the hell out of me, same exact parallels, same exact 2 driver files, only thing different is osx 10.4.11 and 10.5.5 but both recognize it in the profiler so I'm hoping it's something with parallels that i havent noticed.

Kevin.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Hm, I suppose Leopard is preventing something, as some USB implementation was changed in Leopard in relation to Tiger

3. teknics

teknics Junior Member

the rest of my usb devices work fine tho, maybe ill try buying a new adapter

kevin.

4. John@Parallels

You can try , but I still think that it is due to USB implementation changes it was changed

5. teknics

teknics Junior Member

alright this has to be on the parallels side. Bought a new usb-serial adapter to try it out. Again Mac OS X recognizes the adapter sees it no problem.

Open parallels, plug in the adapter, no add new hardware wizard no chime recognizing the usb.

Go to Devices > USB > Usb Serial Controller, click it, menu closes check if it's now checked and again it is gone. As soon as I try to use it in parallels it disappears from the menu.

Again my osx is seeing it perfectly fine, parallels erases it from it's device menu as soon as I click on it to enable it.

I tried my USB Drive, works fine, tried my iphone works fine. Windows picks those up right away and they stay checked in the parallels menu. Something is not working right.

Kevin.

6. teknics

teknics Junior Member

Also to add to that the adapter came with a CD for the driver installation. I install the drivers, then go and check device manager, nothing shows up. I've installed the CD twice now and nothing ever shows up in device manager even after rebooting windows.

This is getting annoying.

Kevin.

7. teknics

teknics Junior Member

Alright found one more option, I can get an ExpressCard/34 Serial Port adapter.

Will parallels work with my macbook pro's expresscard slot? will it be recognized as a port in the device manager so I can access COM1?

kevin.

8. John@Parallels

Is it PCI-Express card, if yes, it will not work,
    I suppose it is due to Mac OS Leopard implementation design

9. teknics

teknics Junior Member

meh, decided just to use boot camp instead, works fine with the same drivers parallels apparently wont work with.

kevin.

10. DGoldman

DGoldman Bit poster

Add me to this list. I have the exact same problem. Please, a fix?

11. teknics

teknics Junior Member

never got it solved until i just ran it in boot camp.

Just got my free upgrade to the new parallels 4.0 so i will try to USB adapter again on this version and post results.

kevin.

12. teknics

teknics Junior Member

well finally tested my usb-to-serial adapter, pd4 at least recognizes it. which is a huge jump as on my new macbook pro pd3 wouldnt even see it, but on my macbook orig model it saw it with no problems (win xp VM)

later this week ill plug it into the car's computer and see if it actually works, but so far things are looking good. I figure on having to rearrange something but thats typical of these adapters anyway.

kevin.