Flakey mouse performance?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kaidomac, Jun 17, 2006.

1. kaidomac

kaidomac Member

I finally installed Parallels for the first time yesterday. I had been waiting for the GA before giving it a shot. The speed is nice but the mouse performance stinks. In windowed mode, it isn't too bad, but when I flip over to full-screen mode, the mouse really gets laggy. I just upgraded my Intel Mini with a 2ghz Core Duo processor, 2 gigs of ram, and a fast 7200rpm 100gb internal drive. OS X screams, but I'm not so impressed by XP's mouse performance. It really bugs me! I've tried playing with the mouse settings both in XP and OS X and neither has gotten rid of the lag. My only thought is that the Mini's integrated 64mb GMA950 video card isn't up to the task of handling Parallels very well, especially in full-screen mode. Is this the normal behavior for the mouse in Parallels? Is there anything I can do to not make it skip or lag?

Edit: Also, I gave my XP installation under Parallels a gig of ram and 40 gigs of hard drive space.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  2. mikeshappell

mikeshappell Member

Did you install the VM tools (from the parallels menu) to enable mouse syncrhonization?

Mike

3. kaidomac

kaidomac Member

Nope, doing that now. Thanks for the tip!

4. kaidomac

kaidomac Member

mikeshappell, thanks, that really helped! I missed that in the drop-down bar in the manual. Do I need to install any drivers from Boot Camp or does the VM Tools cover all that?

5. kaidomac

kaidomac Member

Another little oddball thing is the Start Menu. I can't right-click inside the menu, nor can I drag things into folders I've created at the top of the initial menu. I'm running Windows updates right now to see if that will fix it; any ideas on that one?

6. The VM Tools include all additional drivers that you should need for your built-in mac hardware. The only additional drivers you may need is if you add some external hardware that requires it.