version 4 - copy and paste in VM no longer works

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by spiffey, Nov 12, 2008.

1. gadgetdoctor

gadgetdoctor Bit poster

I'm using Savvy clipboard and can see a pattern to the behaviour of failure within the VM window:

If you copy text it seems to be fine
    If you copy one graphic it works the first time
    If, while you have the graphic still as the copied item in the clipboard, you try to copy (or delete) another graphic, it fails.

Using savvy clipboard, if I just select another paste buffer that holds text, it all works again.

I'm using the graphic app Xara Xtreme to do this. I hope that helps the Parallels guys.

2. spiffey

spiffey Junior Member

The latest build (3540) worked for me, but sticking with v3 for now

The solution and reasons can be found here. I opened a new thread rather than continue in this one.

3. morpheusience

morpheusience Bit poster

Ii Really worked for me ,nice tip :) Thks

4. jmanos3

jmanos3 Member

Using the latest build 3540, I have confirmed that copy/paste works inside of the VM, and between OS X and the VM, when using either newly created VM's in PD4 or VM's upgraded from PD3 to PD4.

In my configuration, I am not using any special clipboard management tools as noted in other posts in this thread.

5. nz_skater

nz_skater Junior Member

I'm using build 3540 and can confirm that copy and paste functionality is breaking repeatedly as it did in the previous version.

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I guess in Coherence mode, and Display resolution is high?

7. nz_skater

nz_skater Junior Member

In windowed mode, and display res is custom, probably around 1280 x 800? Maybe a little more. Is the clipboard only supported in a guest OS if the display resolution is low?

8. Macaby

Macaby Member

I'm running ver 3540 and I can pasted txt and graphics from either Vista to OS X or OS X to Vista.

9. John@Parallels

Do you have any specific applications working with clipboard?

10. nz_skater

nz_skater Junior Member

I don't have any specific clipboard apps. Any progress on this issue?

11. Casey

Casey Bit poster

Copy & Paste are not working in 4

I am adding my voice here. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Tools and have the latest build. I did upgrade from 3, purchasing 4 and I have to have the copy paste function between my Mac and the PC. I cannot copy and paste from Word on the Mac side to anything on the PC (XP) side.

Is my only recourse to go back to 3?

12. John@Parallels

Are you able to use mouse for copy/paste?

13. Casey

Casey Bit poster

No, I am not able to copy paste into the Parallels machine at all. I have tried 3 different mice.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  14. Casey

Casey Bit poster

Ok, I opened the document from the Word program (on my Mac) using Pages and now can copy and paste. I will update if I find any other problems. So the problem appears to be between the Word program and Parallels.

15. bidione

bidione Member

Has this been addressed in the meantime? Just installed v4 build 3540 and experience same problem. What's the latest program version that has this problem solved?

16. John@Parallels

17. James Whitby

James Whitby Bit poster

Build 4.0.3838, same problem?

Any changes since January 2009?
    Using the current (November 2009) version of Parallels V4 (build 4.0.3848 from October 14th) on Snow Leopard 10.6.2 I am unable to copy graphics (i.e. screenshots) from the clipboard of Windows 7 guest OS (experimental version) to the host OS. Copying and pasting text however does work. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether I am in a Window or in Coherence mode, nor does the size of the graphic seem to play a role.

Is this just me, or do other people still have this problem, which seems similar to that reported in several threads in 2008 for Parallels 4? I expect the advice will be to upgrade to the newest versions of Parallels and Windows, but is this going to fix my problem?

James Whitby