Issues with Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by sumsette, Nov 12, 2008.

1. sumsette

sumsette Bit poster

I just bought parallels a week or so ago. I have two questions:

1. I found out that I've gotten a program that is an older version - I have 3.0 build 4128. How can I upgrade without having to pay more? Is that possible? Did I just get ripped off?

2. When i try to open a document from outside of parallels - in my regular mac environement, it is set to default wordpad and tries to go through parallels. how can i set word as the default to handle that type of document?

THANKS!

2. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

1. i believe if you purchased parallels after sept 1, 2008 you are entited to a free upgrade to 4.0. that said, all minor version updates have been free. (3.1, 3.2, etc)

2. turn off shared applications. ( Edit -> Virtual Machine -> Shared Applications )

3. sumsette

sumsette Bit poster

I don't have the option of turning off shared applications. Is that because of my old version?

How can I update to the new one???

Thanks!

4. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

no. shared applications appeared in 3.x

start parallels, select your virtual machine, but do not start it.. click "Edit" in the menu bar and select "Virtual Machine"

on the left hand side of the window is a list of "resources" select the one that says "Shared Applications" and uncheck "Share Windows applications to Mac" and "Share Mac applications to Windows" as well if you do not want to share them either way.

Attached Files:

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

6. sumsette

sumsette Bit poster

I understand these instructions. THere is not an applications option in the resources list.

7. sumsette

sumsette Bit poster

Thank you so much for the download links. Couldn't find what I needed on the site. SO glad to get a response. THANKS!

8. sumsette

sumsette Bit poster

I've finally updated my parallels so I had the option to disable the application sharing. I've done that, but it still has the WordPad as default from Windows, thus wanting to open parallels for every doc. How can I make Word on my Mac as the default for docs on my mac? :(

Thx.

Dani

http://www.AhamPrema.com

"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." ~Aldous Huxley

9. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

Please check this KB article. Also, you can change associations in usual way -- Ctrl-click the file with needed extension, choose Open With -> Other, select the appropriate application and check 'Always open with'

10. sumsette

sumsette Bit poster

I have downloaded the updates but it is still showing as parallels 3.0. Shouldn't I have the newest version, 4.0?????

Thanks!

11. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

did you purchase 4.0? it's separate from 3.0 and not an "update" but a new product requiring installation. it won't show up in Updates.

12. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

What updates have you downloaded? Have you purchased the version 4.0? If yes -- here is the direct link to the latest build of Parallels Desktop 4.0

13. sumsette

sumsette Bit poster

I purchased 3.0, but just very recently. Shouldn't I get some kind of free upgrade since it was so recent??

14. Flagg

Flagg Hunter