Can't upgrade to v4

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by tblack, Nov 20, 2008.

1. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

Build 3540 WAS the build that I had difficulties with having used the older build first.

I have spent too much time on this already and there is no way that I am going to continue to struggle with an application with this many bugs.

This has made me ask myself 'How much do I really NEED my Windows application?' and I'm considering either waiting a month or so then trying again or binning Parallels/Windows altogether and putting it down to experience.

For anyone considering upgrading - BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP before you start - onto external media if possible, failing that copy your .hdd file to somewhere safe or even rename it. It saved my 'life'.

Sorry chaps at Parallels, I can see the amount of effort you're making, but I'm not sure this was ready to hit the streets. It shows severe signs of being 'rushed out' before Christmas - unless competitors are about to launch updated releases.

Based upon my experience, your competitors can relax, they don't need to hurry. I'm only grateful that PD3 was so easy to re-install and has done without problems - now THATS the Parallels Desktop I'm used to.

2. Bob James

Bob James Junior Member

Build 3540 Problem

I installed the latest update from automatic update: Now I can't get Parallel Tools to install on my iMac. I won't know if I have the same problem on my MacPro until Monday when I go to work.

Now what?

UPDATE:
    I had tried three times to install Tools with no success: the third time the whole machine froze so I shut it off and re-started. This time I was able to install Tools.
    I have no idea why it worked: I'm glad it did but we really shouldn't have to struggle with an automatic upgrade!
    What changes were made in 3540? Are you working on making the install bullet-proof?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  3. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

I must admit to feeling a bit sorry for Parallel's 'front line', they are doing a great job trying to field these problems.

I can understand a greater number of problems occurring on Windows platforms as so many computers are clones and can have any number of variations in hardware and software configuration BUT . . .

My version 3 was working SO well - I allowed myself to be seduced (by the Dark Side) into an (unnecessary) upgrade. Why is this update causing SO MANY people problems.

When you look at the number of posts of a lot of the respondents on this forum, they are not beginners and they are not idiots - lets face it they are Mac owners so they've showed a fair bit of discernment in the first place.

So, why are SO many savvy people having SO many problems - I think the software was not in a marketable state when released. My next question is then, who did the Beta testing, why did it (presumably) go so well for them and so badly for us?

I guess we won't get to know that and (in reality) if I were Parallels Management, I wouldn't tell anyone either.

4. jackcav

jackcav Bit poster

Brian

My guess would be that the beta testers only tested the product and did not test the upgrade procedure. That is, assuming that there really was a beta testing program. The sheer number of different problems described on these forums would argue that this release is actually Beta-1 (or maybe Alpha).

Jack

5. Bob James

Bob James Junior Member

3540 Problem not solved after all

Another new problem:

On my iMac in the PC VM my mouse no longer works in Microsoft Word. It's actually more insidious than that: you can scroll, but cannot put the cursor into the text. Weird. (and BAD). It worked in V4 before I installed 3540. What are you guys doing! I'm starting to agree with Jackcav that this is more like an Alpha rather than a Beta :-(

I can't wait until tomorrow when I try 3540 on my MacPro at work (wish we had an assortment of smilies to display sarcasm).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008