Will Parallels Work w/ MacBooks sold w/ Pre-Loaded Windows???

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by BPSooner, Jun 16, 2006.

1. BPSooner

BPSooner Bit poster

I'm preparing to order a MacBook. I've noticed several vendors selling 'Books with Windows XP Pro (SP2) pre-loaded. I'm assuming these are preloaded to run under Bootcamp. If so, can I buy one of these with Windows XP preloaded and then run Parallels Desktop to access Windows?

Thanks.
    Dorsey

2. macosxfiles

macosxfiles Bit poster

You will need a separate WinXP license for Parallels... It won't be be able to use your Bootcamp created Windows partition.

3. Moondougie

Moondougie Member

actually, you can use the same license - since it's on the same CPU. I have XP installed on a Boot Camp partition and the same copy installed in Parallels - I had to call Microsoft to get them to activate the second installation - and told them why I was doing it (they didn't complain and gave me the new activation code…)

4. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

It may not be possible. The copy of Windows sold or bundled with PCs may not be a full Windows installation CD. If so you will not be able to install a copy of Windows with that license.

Ask whether the vendor will provide a full Windows installation CD for that license.

[​IMG]

5. suntzu

suntzu Bit poster

It has to be a full CD. If they used a full CD to install and gave you an "upgrade only" disc they are violating their software agreement. The other reason it needs to be a full CD is because in order to install it on BootCamp, you can't use an upgrade CD.

Even in the case of upgrade CDs, it contains the full version should you decide to upgrade from Windows 98 or whatever. You might want to look into creating a custom slipstreamed disc if that's the case.