XP Flickering Mouse Issue

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by tigerfox, Nov 22, 2008.

1. tigerfox

tigerfox Bit poster

my configuration:

parallels 4 / windows xp virtual machine
    on a new (2008) macbook.

in rhinoceros 3d (a very common cad 3d-modeler) running in a windows XP virtual machine, rotating the scene with the right mouse button pressed makes the mouse-position change/flicker instantly every couple of seconds, messing up my scene and making navigation almost impossible.

the problem also occurs with the trackpad, my mouse should be ok
    any ideas ?

best, tiger.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Update was published , which is right now available at http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31764
    The most of problem were fixed.
    Please navigate to that link, and download build 3540
    In post there are various instructions, how to fix problems.

3. tigerfox

tigerfox Bit poster

dear john,

i am running build 3540 already. (the related release-post didn't address any of my problems btw.)

regarding your other performance tips:

setting the virtual machine memory to more than 1gb along with manual memory limit which is a bit higher than vm memory didn't help.

defragmentation should not be necessary since i just set up my new macbook and the only thing i installed in the fresh xp virtual machine was rhinoceros 3d, the cad-software giving me trouble.

this implies:

i am not using themes in xp.
    no redundant startup-items in xp.
    no xp antivirus yet.
    plenty of partition space for mac os and the virtual machine.

all in all i dont't think that the sudden position change of the mouse-pointer is a performance issue, since - except the messed up navigation - rhinoceros is running pretty perfect with parallels 4.

i suppose it's related to the new 2008 13,3" macbook's nvidia graphics adapter, since disabling the graphics acceleration (in virtual machine preferences) makes the problem disapper. however, since 3d modeling relies on graphics acceleration a lot, i'd really love to see it work with acceleration switched to on.

is there a chance to get that fixed ?

best regards, tiger.

4. mschool

mschool Member

This definitely worked for me:
    7. Run msconfig , and disable unneeded startup items
    See http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html

My XP VM on V4 is booting up faster than on V3. It's noticeable. A bit of a hassle this upgrade, but well worth it.