Accidentally deleted Parallels Host-Guest Adapter

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by SFrawley, May 2, 2006.

1. SFrawley

SFrawley Member

While mucking around trying suggested solutions to get networking (mostly wireless) working again with Beta 6 on my W2K SP4 VM, I Accidentally deleted the Parallels Host-Guest Adapter in network preferences.:(

I tried removing Parallels, hoping that a full reinstall would put it back, but no luck. What is the best way to uninstall and reinstall to get a full installation again/

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. agillespie

agillespie Bit poster

Same here

I did the same thing. I've tried the uninstall script found in these forums but re-installing still doesn't give me the the Parallels Host-Guest Adapter. I don't seem to be able to use Host-only networking without it.

Any ideas are appreciated.

3. serv

serv Forum Maven

To recover Parallels Host-Guest Adapter do the following:
    1. Verify that the driver is loaded. Type ifconfig in the Terminal and see if en2 is listed.
    2. Open System Preferences. Click on the Network icon.
    3. Select "Network Port Configurations" from the Show dropdown list and click "New..." button
    4. Type "Parallels Host-Guest Adapter" as the Name and select "Ethernet Adaptor (en2)" as Port. Then Click OK.
    5. Click Apply Now.

4. agillespie

agillespie Bit poster

Thanks for the help. I recovered the Host-Guest Adapter as described above but maybe thats not all there is to it? The VM picks up the IP and Netmask but the DNS Suffix and Gateway are empty. I can ping the Mac's en2 IP but nothing on the outside. This is with or without sharing my Airport connection with Ethernet Adapter (en2).

5. serv

serv Forum Maven

agillespie,

For Internet Sharing to work with Parallels Host-Only adapter one more step is currently required -- issue "sudo killall prl_dhcpd" from the Terminal before starting internet sharing.
    This issue will be fixed in next public version.

6. chjabu

chjabu Bit poster

no en2 adapter avail

my Parallels Host-Guest adapter was "greyed-out" so I decided to follow the advice of this thread and delete it and recreate. The problem is that when I go to select the adapter, I don't have an en2. when I do ifconfig from the terminal it says that en2 is inactive.

any suggestions on how to activate en2?

thanks

7. SFrawley

SFrawley Member

Try running the tools installer or a complete reinstall of Parallels software, one of those is what got mine back.

Good luck

8. serv

serv Forum Maven

chjabu,

If you have Parallels Host-Guest Adapter grayed in Mac OS X, all you need is to reboot your Mac. This happens when upgrading/reinstalling if you had IS active.