4.0 Build 3540 still not working for me

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by LeMerlot, Nov 22, 2008.

1. LeMerlot

LeMerlot Bit poster

I just tried to upgrade my BootCamp partition with Win XP (SP2 German, no profile password at startup) from a perfectly working Parallels Desktop v3 (5608) to 4.0 Build 3540, but it's still not working.

Installation fails in step 1 while converting my BootCamp partition advising me to a manual install which leads to a blue screen *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0XF8958524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000) in Win XP when starting up (see attached screen shot).

After having made a research for BSD 07B here on Parallels' site I even uninstalled everything from v4, reinstalled v3, uninstalled Parallels Tools on my BootCamp partition manually, cleaned my BootCamp partition from everything installed by Parallels, uninstalled v3, reinstalled v4 Build 3540 again... – and still got the BSD 07B result. Folks, this really takes a lot of time and I'm feeling like a beta tester... – believe me, not a good feeling.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    JMG

(MacBook Pro, 2.33 GH Intel Core2Duo, 3GB RAM, 320 GB HD)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  2. dcblack

dcblack Bit poster

I agree - 4.0 Build 3540 still does not work (details)

Still does not work for me either. Spent at least 4 hours on this (normally bill $175/hour to my clients).

PROBLEM: Launching Parallels Desktop gets a dialog box (below) with only an option to quit. Never able to do anything more.

See comments after picture describing what I've done thus far...

[​IMG]

ACTIONS:
    0. Upgraded from 3.0 (which worked fairly well) to 4.0 build 3540 on my MacBookPro (Intel Core Duo 2.16GHz 2Gb 120Gb HD) running Leopard 10.5.5 (latest updates).
    1. Called support - got foreign sounding answer with really bad communication skills. Tried to tell me to perform some really dangerous commands in the Terminal (e.g. sudo rm -fr /Library/long_path_name). I did try this after carefully examining the commands. No success.
    2. E-mailed support - suggested I turn off firewall (also a dangerous thing to do considering how dangerous the Internet is). I did try this with no success.
    3. Also got a reply to launch a daemon under 'sudo' (dangerous). I did this with no success.
    4. Completely uninstalled. Reinstalled 3.0 (works fine). Upgrade installed 4.0 (installs OK). Still have issue (see below). No success.
    5. Checked /etc/hosts (it is valid). Nothing found.
    6. Read this forum and others. Posted help request on MacFixit. Posted comment on VersionTracker. Will give good ratings once problems are fixed.

PERSONAL BACKGROUND: BSEE/BACS. Programmer since 1973. Used UNIX since 1975. Performed System Administration on Sun Solaris, HPUX and RedHat Linux. I've used Macintosh since 1984. Hardware designer since 1980 (phones, fault tolerant computers, graphics engines, cryptography, etc). Author, teacher, speaker, CTO.

3. fmckinnon

fmckinnon Member

Copy/Paste

To think copy/paste issues are resolved is also a joke. At least before, I could copy/paste from PC to Mac - now I can't do either.

WHY RELEASE SOMETHING with so many bugs? I guess the $40 "only good for 14 days" was a way to get people to PAY TO BETA TEST THIS JUNK.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

5. atmasu

atmasu Bit poster

6. STim

STim Bit poster

atmasu,

If I understand correctly, your problem is upgrade hanging at step 1 of conversion.

Do you see a BSOD on the VM screen? If you do, is it BSOD 0x000000A5? Please confirm, as before suggesting a solution I need to be 100% confident that it is exactly your issue.

7. LeMerlot

LeMerlot Bit poster

BSD 07B issue with 4.0 Build 3540

Hello Parallels team,

is there still no idea for the BSD 07B problem as described above (and in the quote)?

Thanks,
    JMG

[​IMG]

8. STim

STim Bit poster

LeMerlot,

This problem is not as common as "autochk not found" or "A5" ones, and will require additional investigation.

Is this an issue when you boot your Boot Camp as a Virtual Machine only, or both as a Virtual Machine and natively?

9. LeMerlot

LeMerlot Bit poster

@Tim

Only when booted Boot Camp as a Virtual Machine. If you need any further infos please just let me know.

Thanks
    JMG

10. STim

STim Bit poster

LeMerlot,

Usually this BSOD means that Windows fails to find or initialize the driver necessary for the boot process. Please provide the listing of c:\boot.ini file of your VM, as it's the first suspect.

Also, a couple of questions to understand the history of the problem:
    1. do you recall any messages from Parallels Desktop 3 when stopping the VM like "unable to save the configuration" or something?
    2. When first started in Parallels Desktop 4, have you seen the "Virtual Machine Upgrade" splash screen? What was the upgrade step (there are 4 of them) when you were forced into manual mode?
    3. Was the initial problem the BSOD "7B"? Or initially it was some other problem and you came to "7B" after attempting to solve that initial problem?

Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  11. LeMerlot

LeMerlot Bit poster

Tim,

thank you for the follow up.

Please provide the listing of c:\boot.ini file of your VM, as it's the first suspect.

Please find attached the boot.ini file of my VM (yesterday I've downgraded to PD v3, 5608 which works perfect, but this should not have made any changes of the boot.ini file)

1. do you recall any messages from Parallels Desktop 3 when stopping the VM like "unable to save the configuration" or something?

No, never so far in PD3.

2. When first started in Parallels Desktop 4, have you seen the "Virtual Machine Upgrade" splash screen? What was the upgrade step (there are 4 of them) when you were forced into manual mode?

It was at the end of the first third (1/3) part of step 1.

3. Was the initial problem the BSOD "7B"? Or initially it was some other problem and you came to "7B" after attempting to solve that initial problem?

The initial problem is the BSOD "7B". I even made a screen movie of the this startup sequence. I could upload it if it helps.

Thx,
    JMG

Attached Files:

12. atmasu

atmasu Bit poster

Hi STim,

I have upgraded my VM from PD2.5 and I am getting a BSOD 0x0000007B. I am getting the same screen as member LeMerlot posted at 12:55pm. I am not using BootCamp.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gerhard

13. dcblack

dcblack Bit poster

Any help for me?

It is now over a week since I "upgraded". I am still not able to use Parallels. I am getting upset.

14. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

dcblack.

Please send us Problem Report and post here it id.

15. STim

STim Bit poster

LeMerlot,

Thanks. All is well from the first glance. I'm going to need to consult with development team to proceed with investigation.

atmasu,
    No, your issue is totally different as it happens with OS in virtual machine. Please check your private messages in serveral minutes.

16. alurkar

alurkar Junior Member

I agree the copy paste issue is even worse than before with 3540! when will Parallels start testing stuff before throwing it over the fence and asking users to QA their crap?

17. lolp

lolp Junior Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

18. lolp

lolp Junior Member

Same hear my version 4.0 build 3540, fails, is DOES NOT WORK, same issue, all loads in ,
    tools load in, then click the mouse , and NO tools installed,

I used custom set up import boot camp Windows XP Pro, all goes fine, loads up windows Vitual machine, however the tools did auto load in, but when you click the mouse, you get "to release mouse ctrl and alt. so therefore the tools do not work.

19. biglar

biglar Pro

FYI. Copy and paste work well in 3540 for me.
    Win XP Imac 4gb memory.
    No bootcamp.

20. jiggajoe

jiggajoe Bit poster

Has there been any resolution to the BSOD "7B" issue?
    I just upgraded to version 4.0 with a Boot camp partition and I'm having this issue.
    I don't have an issue when I run bootcamp directly so I suppose this is a parallels 4.0 issue. Also when I downgrade to Parallels 3.0 I'm able to access my virtual machine without issue.
    I am trying to run Windows Vista.

A quick response will be very helpful - thanks.