1. Humboldt

Humboldt Bit poster

Today I downloaded the new build (3540) which does seem to have a number of bugs fixed from the previous build. The conversion of my PD3 virtual machine was completed successfully the first time and the overall system seems more stable. Performance is good, but still not as fast on my host machine (2.33 GHz Macbook Pro running 10.4.11) as PD 3 (build 5608).

I am having one recurrent problem, however. Whenever booting my host computer from a "cold" boot, all of my printers are gone from the host machine. Any attempt to add them (in Mac OS Printer Setup Utility) results in an error. Only after fixing permissions (with Disk Utility) and then rebooting a couple of times will the printers re-appear. This bug really needs to be fixed soon.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Could you please clarify, did you set USB printers to be connected to VM?, and do Parallels desktop is starting on login

3. Humboldt

Humboldt Bit poster

I do not have PD4 set to auto launch on login and I have nothing connected to the USB port. These printers are network printers using either Bonjour or specific IP addresses. To be clear, the printers are missing from my host computer before I run PD4 or any other application. When I launch the OS-X Printer Setup Utility, no printers are listed. Attempting to add a printer results in an error that the service is not available. Launching the Network control panel in OS-X results in an error that the service is controlled by another application.

I then re-booted into single user mode, ran fsck, re-booted into OS-X and ran Disk Utility in OS-X to repair permissions. Launched OS-X Printer Setup Utility and the printers are now populated in the printer window and function normally.

Since my first post, I enabled Printer Sharing in the OS-X Sharing control panel and ensured Printer Sharing is enabled in the OS-X firewall. I also disabled firewall in the guest OS. Since then, the error has not yet recurred.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  4. Anna Pichueva

Anna Pichueva Parallels Team

Hello Humboldt,

Let me tell you that Network printer can be mounted either to host Os or to guest, but never to both.

I would like you to clarify what did you mean by the words: "the printers are missing from my host computer before I run PD4 or any other application"? What happens before the printers are missing?

And anyway please check if this article may help you: http://kb.parallels.com/en/4886