Just for the record, who else feels conned by PD4?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by brianwmay, Nov 23, 2008.

1. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

The more I think about it, the more I feel conned into just about a complete waste of money - Lord knows there's enough turmoil and THAT neck of the woods.

I just want to publicly state :

Parallels, I feel conned by this upgrade that frankly does NOT do what you say it does!

Yes, the folks in the 'firing line' are doing their damnedest to put things right - but they should have been right in the first place - the general public are NOT Beta testers and this smacks of something 'another well known operating system' used to pedal - lots of hype, then wait for Service Pack 1.

This is what you say - a direct copy from your website:

Parallels Desktop for Mac

has got significantly better and continues leaving others on this industry behind to play catch-up with new Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac – Easy, Fast and Powerful Windows on Mac computing with 50+ new features and enhancements. Run Windows, Linux and more side-by-side with Mac OS X on any Intel-powered Mac — without rebooting. Experience total OS integration, strong security and fantastic flexibility with having all important Windows-only software applications and favorite games at your fingertips without giving up the comfort and functionality of your Mac!

Please tell me when I'm going to get that.

2. mglish

mglish Junior Member

You'll get it when you switch to Fusion like I did! I'm trying to get my 40 bucks back from Parallels. I hope I do. Fusion retails for $80 but they have a promotion now and you can get it for $60. I've read a couple of times about people who used their conversion program, but be aware that it only works with Parallels 2.5 and 3.0 VMs. If you didn't save your 3.0 VM like me, then converting is harder. They have a converter that is designed to convert physical Windows to a Fusion VM, but it didn't work well for me. I decided to rebuild my Windows image. It's been a bit tedious but now I have a fast, stable Windows environment on my Mac. And as far as I can tell, Parallels 4.0 was a release to achieve parity with Fusion 2.0.

3. yin_ko

yin_ko Junior Member

Been trying for a whole week now....

... and still looking forward to gain the performances I was used to with v.3... I ONLY use parallels to work on my autocad 2008, and since upgrading to v.4, it's a real torture !!! 20-25 minutes just to make a copy/paste !!!! EACH TIME !!!! I'm running on a Macpro with 4 cpus, and 14 Go of ram ! and still can't get to work normally... I'm actually quite angry, because we can't reverse the vm process. Just hoping someone here at parallel will hear about our complains and make something to REALLY upgrade this catastrophic version. I NEED my autocad to earn my salary, and I cannot spend hours a day waiting for the software to finish processing. I agree with other members around here: this soft should have been tested for real before teeling us to upgrade - now WE have to send feedback, hoping to get a fix.

4. Macaby

Macaby Member

I don't...

My system (MB) is running great with 4.0. The caveat is I'm not running some autocad program. I mostly use the program to work on Excel fills (Office Pro '03). For those who are having trouble running autocad, have you tried using straight Boot Camp?

I don't understand the reason for using an Apple just to run a cutting edge autocad program in a Windows environment when you can get a hotdog PC laptop for half the price of an Apple.

Good luck with the Fusion.

5. yin_ko

yin_ko Junior Member

autocad

@ macaby: after navigating through posts, it seems my problem is not necessary dued to the autocad software; pd4 uses a huuuge amount of cpu, no matter which configuration you try to set up. The last build DID NOT solve the case, and a lot of people here seem to experience the same trouble.

6. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

I am evaluating VMware Fusion (using a back up PD3 hdd file) and it was a painless install and looks good. My problem is, I've already PAID my money to Parallels.

So if Fusion can do it, why can't Parallels??

7. Parallelogram

Parallelogram Member

Yes this is a con, and that's putting it nicely.